-Notes-

10th Grade AU

Leorio tapped his pen on his paper. He didn't know the answer to this question. He didn't expect to have a pop quiz. So, he didn't study. He should know the answers but he never paid attention in class. He was always distracted.

Leorio leaned over to the kid sitting next to him. "Hey, Zepile," he whispered. "Do you know the answer to number sixteen?"

Zepile flipped a page back on his packet. He turned back to Leorio. "The answer is B," he said. "Elizabeth Schuyler."

Leorio nodded. "Thanks, man," he said.

Zepile smiled. "Yeah, of course," he said. "Why are you so behind?"

"I don't know any of the answers. It's a review quiz and my memory sucks."

"Does your memory suck or did you just spend your time daydreaming about-"

"Excuse me Ms. Paladiknight," the teacher said. "May I ask what you and Mr. Lombardi are discussing?"

Leorio cleared his throat. "Uhm, we were making plans to hang out Saturday," he lied. "Sorry, Mrs. Ohara."

Mrs. Ohara frowned. "Well," she said. "If I catch you talking again, it's detention. Both of you," she turned to the rest of the class, "Excuse me, children! Here's your reminder that I will not tolerate any talking during class. Especially flirting."

The class snickered. Leorio blushed and looked back at his paper. How embarrassing.

Twenty minutes later and the class was dismissed to go to lunch. Leorio and Zepile walked down the hall together. "I feel like every teacher in this school hates me," Leorio muttered.

Zepile shrugged. "They probably do," he replied. "They're all old bats that don't care about anyone but themselves."

"What does that mean?"

"It means they don't care that you're actually a boy. They're all transphobic.*"

(Dropping a surprise FTM Leorio on ya)

"Mrs. Joanne isn't."

"Well, I don't have Mrs. Joanne's class. I wouldn't know."

"Sucks to be you then."

"Nah, I'm good. I'm happy with my biological gender."

"Don't brag."

Zepile laughed. He set his stuff down at a lunch table. "Let's go grab our food," he said.

Leorio set his stuff down too. He followed Zepile into the lunch line, continuing their conversation. They got their food and sat down at their tables.

"What do you think I'm most likely to get detention for," Leorio asked.

Zepile shrugged. "Cheating or beating some kid up," he said. "You get started on T next week, right?"

Leorio nodded. "Yeah," he said. "My mom is paying for it, despite my dad's protest."

"You have a nice mom."

"I know. I'm like, the luckiest boy in the world."

"I'm sure that you think that."

"Absolutely I do."

"Excuse me," a voice said. "May I talked to you two?"

Both Leorio and Zepile looked up. Immediately, Leorio felt his heart skip a beat. Standing there was Kurapika. Leorio liked Kurapika. He liked him a lot. But he wasn't even sure if Kurapika knew who he was.