Chapter 6: It cant be

Katie's POV

The word love continued to haunt me. Melissa showed no signs of suspicion and for that I was grateful. She was currently changing Huxley. The cast was invited to a party of sorts. I wasnt exactly looking forward to it. I would much rather be watching a movie with Melissa and Huxley at home.

"Do you have the diaperbag? I have his pacifer" Melissa calls.

"It's here. The carseats in the car and I have some coffee" I respond.

"Coffee? I love you! We should get going before we're late" Melissa smiles. That damned word again. If only she meant it the way I was craving it to be.

We made our way to the venue and arrive just before the scheduled time. We had gotten a stroller that allowed Huxleys carseat to sit in it. His little feet kicked out as he faced us and I smiled.

"Hey Melissa and Katie!" Mehcad greets.

"Hey, little man even came" Jeremy smiles.

"Hey guys. I didnt have the heart to leave him at home with a sitter" Melissa laughs.

"It's never a problem to have this little one around" Jeremy smiled.

"Is that a baby?! Move! Move! I want to see the baby!" Chyler yells.

She shoves her way through our coworkers that had gathered around and looked down at Huxley. The baby boy stared at her in wonder and confusion.

"Hey there cutiepie. Oh Melissa he's gorgeous!" Chyler gushes.

"Aw thanks Chy" Melissa responds warmly.

Melissa pushes the stroller toward a table and I hang back while everyone follows her. Suddenly I feel a hand grab my arm and I turn to see Chyler.

"You know, you two look like happy little parents" she smirks.

"Im not Huxley's parent Chyler" I frown.

"Oh I'm only teasing. You do look good together though. Maybe in the future?" She smiles.

"It cant be, Chyler. Melissa just got a divorce. Theres no way that she is thinking about moving on yet. Much less think about me in that way" I mumble.

"So you do like her!" She grins.

I blush and stay quiet. Chyler goes on about my crush and I focus on Melissa. She sat at a table with Jeremy, his wife, Odette, and her husband. I could see them laughing at something and I smiled. I liked to see Melissa happy. Which was why I knew I needed to keep this little crush to myself.

"Are you listening to me?" Chyler asks.

"Im sorry?" I say absently.

I heard Chyler mutter under her breath before leaving to go to ber own table. I sit down beside Melissa and she smiles at me. Huxley is laying in his stroller and I peek in. Amongst the commotion I can see his little eyes begin to droop.

I reach my hand in and he immediately grabs my finger. His eyes are now fully closed but his grip doesnt loosen. I leave my hand resting gently with him while I get into the conversation.

"So, do you think you'll ever move on and date again Melissa?" Odette asks.

"Well, I dont know. Everythinng is still fresh but if the right person comes around maybe. It would have to be one of those no brainer type scenarios though. Im done just going out with a crush. Whatever relationship I start has to be serious. I mean, I have Huxley to think about" Melissa responds.

This makes my heart drop and I try not to let it show.

"What about you Katie? Thinking of dating anyone?" Odette turns to me.

I briefly glance at Melissa and sigh.

"No, not really. I agree with Melissa that a serious relationship is much more appealing than a crush. Im ready for a family and I need someone who feels the same way" I respond.

I dare not look at Melissa and the conversation goes on. Whatever the subject changed to I couldnt tell. I couldnt help but only think about how it cant be.

Melissa's POV

I could tell something was off with Katie. After talking about relationships she grew really quiet. She continued in conversation but it wasn't as lively as it usually is. They served us food and we all continued to talk as we enjoyed the meal.

"This party is getting a little boring. We have to get back home to the kiddo anyway" Odette sighs.

I have a feeling that Katie is not up for anymore socializing and look to her.

"Maybe heading home would be a good idea. I dont want to keep Huxley out for too long" I give a small smile.

We all get up from our seats and say our goodbyes. Jeremy and his wife head off to talk to David who is still here. Odette leaves along with Chyler who had walked our way. Its now just Katie, myself, and Huxley now.

Huxley thankfully was awake for most of the party and for the car ride home, minus a small nap at the beginning of the party. We hoped this would mean he would sleep through the night.

For some reason I went off into my own world. I laid Huxley in his crib in the bedroom. I looked around at the baby things, the bed, and down at the pajamas I was wearing. I thought about how I had called this home at the party. This did feel like home, but why?

Katie emerged from brushing her teeth in the bathroom and got into bed.

"Melissa? You coming to bed?" She asked softly.

I quietly got into bed and stared at the ceiling. I thought about how quiet Katie had been at the party. Was it because they asked her about relationships?

"Katie? Is there anyone that you like right now?" I ask suddenly.

"W-what?" She stammers. I turn on my side to look at her.

"You said you wouldnt get into a relationship unless you knew the person was serious about their relationships. Someone who isnt just dating around still. Did you have someone in mind?" I explain.

Katie looks anywhere but at my face and sighs.

"Yes" she breathes.

"Who?"

"I dont really want to say" she responds.

"You can tell me. I wont judge" I smile.

"Its not that" she sighs again.

"Oh?"

"Theres no point in dwelling on them. I've actually been trying to move on" she says.

"Why would they not be worth pursuing if they fit what you're looking for?"

"Because I know that it cant be. I know this person and I know that a relationship, especially with me, is not what theyre looking for. So, I would rather not dwell on it than be hurt" she says.

I could hear the emotion and sadness coming from her voice. It hurt that Katie was feeling this way. She must really like this person if they have her in such a state.

I felt almost a twinge of jealousy for this person. I wished someone would long for me like Katie longs for this mystery person. Katie was my friend and I wanted her to be happy.

As I lay there and Katie had drifted to sleep I kept thinking. I wanted to find this person. To know why they wouldnt want to be with Katie. I would figure out who it was and know why exactly it cant be.

*****

Yellow. Sorry its been a while. With school started I am literally bombarded with work. Still up for suggestions. It does help to write when I do have the time. Also sordy that it was a little short but leaving it open for what should come next. Stay trashy!