Chapter 7: Dinner

Katie's POV

I struggled to sleep last night as I was afraid that Melissa would figure out my secret. I wasnt ready for her to know. Probably never will be either.

Today we were out and about near the set. They needed some time to setup one of the scenes and told us they would call when ready. Huxley quietly laid in his stroller while we walked around the area where we were filming.

I wanted to glance at Melissa. To put my arm around her, but I couldnt. That would be much too weird. We were only friends. Friends did not hold other friends close, by the waist, with a dreamy look on their face.

We came up to a small park with a pond and decided to stop. There were ducks swimming about and quacking. We realized that Huxley was beginning to fall asleep and hoped the ducks wouldnt wake him. Fortunately, he didnt seem in the least bit bothered and took his nap.

We sat on a bench nearby and a breeze came in. It was actually cold out and I had brought my bigger jacket with me. Melissa was wearing a jacket but I could tell she was still cold. I fought with myself whether to offer some help in some way or keep quiet.

"Are you still cold?" I asked.

"A little. I even brought a jacket this time!" Melissa laughs.

"You can borrow mine. Im actually pretty warm" I offer.

"No way! You'll get cold too. How about we just do this" she says.

Melissa starts to unzip my jacket and my heart hammers in my chest. My breathing stops and I wait to see what will happen. She then puts her arms in my jacket and rests her head on my shoulder.

"Now we'll both be warm" she smiles.

I'm frozen solid. I dare not move from my position. Melissa Benoist is hugging me! My limbs wouldn't move at first before finally returning the hug. We sat quietly for a few moments before Melissa spoke up.

"Thank you" she says quietly.

"Your hands are very cold but thankfully they've warmed up" I joke. I try to hide my nervousness and hope she doesn't notice.

"Well, thank you for that too, but I mean about helping Huxley and I. It means a lot to me" she says.

"Of course. I love you guys" I breathe. I hold my breath and mentally kick myself for saying that.

Melissa seems to get closer to me and I will myself to calm down. Soon we get the call to get back to the set. Melissa and I stand up to leave and she pushes Huxley along with us. We actually talk about dinner and possibly a movie while Huxley is sleeping later in the night. We were suddenly interrupted when I heard my name being called. I initially thought that it was a fan that had recognized us. As I turned the blood drained from my face as I saw my ex jogging up to us.

"Katie! Hey, what are you doing here?" he smiles. I stare dumbfounded at Colin and snapped out of it when Melissa nudges me.

"Uh, we're filming here. What are you doing here?" I return.

"Oh, my filming for the show I'm on ended a while ago. I'm here on a vacation. Are you guys headed to the set now?" he smiles.

"We are and we should hurry over. They cant start without us and we're on a tight schedule" Melissa speaks up.

I'm grateful that Melissa tried to end the conversation and hope that Colin gets the hint.
"Oh, I'll walk you guys over. Let us catch up some more" he grins.

Motherfucking asshole fricking....

I try to remain calm as we continue on toward the set.