Chapter 12: Non-baby Daddy

Melissa's POV

I cuddled with Katie as we drifted off. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders after our kiss. It was such a relief that she felt the same! I held on to her and noticed that she had already fallen asleep.

After she confessed that she had wanted to kiss me we just talked for a little while. About what this now meant. I was worried that she might not like that there was a baby in the equation but she quickly said that Huxley was part of the package. I dont know why I was so uncertain that Katie would want to be in a relationship with someone with a baby. Knowing that she was supportive and loved him too brought warmth to my heart.

I slowly closed my eyes to sleep with a smile on my face.

*****

The sound of my son crying woke me up. I shot up into a seated position when I noticed that Katie was already walking to the crib. She gently picked Huxley up and brought him to the bed.

"Whats the matter sweetheart? You never cry in the morning anymore" I coo. Katie sits down on the bed and cradles him in her arms.

Huxley starts to hiccup as he begins to calm down. Katie lets out a yawn but I notice a small smile.

"You sure that youre up to this?" I ask quietly.

Katie's green eyes flick up to mine and I hold my breath. She then leans forward to kiss my lips. I close my eyes for a moment before she pulls away.

"Melissa, I love both of you. I know what I'm getting myself into and I'm ok with it. I always wanted kids anyway" she smiles.

Would she want more in the future?

I nod my head and notice Huxley staring at us.

"Is this what you wanted? To wake us up and lay in our bed?" I tease.

Katie lays Huxley down in between us and rubs his stomach. I lay down beside them and shake my head. I realize the time and know we need to get ready for filming soon. As I look down at Huxley and look to Katie I dont want to move. I never would have thought that I would fall for my best friend. Much less right after my divorce.

As I thought about this I got worried. What would other people think? Did I move on too quickly? I looked to our calendar to see that it has only been about eight months. Huxley will be a year soon. He was growing too quickly and I wished he would go back to the small baby that they placed in my arms.

"What are you thinking of darling?" Katie asks quietly. Her nickname sent chills down my back and I closed my eyes for a moment.

"I'm just thinking of how much Huxley has grown" I respond.

"I know there's more. You can tell me about it" she says. Curse this womans ability to read me.

"I'm just-... worried about what people will say about us" I nearly whisper.

"Why?" She asks gently.

"Well, it hasnt been that long since the divorce. I mean Huxley will only be one soon!" I explain.

Katie reaches over the baby to rub my arm.

"Oh, Melissa. I'm sorry. Nothing has to happen. If you're worried about it then thats fine. Do you wants to just stay friends?" She says.

"No! I mean, I would like to go on a date with you but I'm just not up for the comments. There's always those people that will be negative" I mumble.

"If there are always going to be negative people then why worry?" Katie asks.

I really think about it and realize that she's right. I dont care about the rumors that will spread. I really like Katie and I'm going to enjoy it now.

We laid in bed for a little longer before getting up to go to work. Huxley seemed to be in a good mood and was babbling the whole time.

I felt myself take a deep breath as we pulled up to the set. I put Huxley on my hip and looked at the setting in front of me. I was nervous about what people would say but then I felt her hand lightly rubbing my back.

"Nothing has to be said" she smiles.

"I dont mind if there is. Something will be said at some point, might as well be now" I breathe.

Katie lightly kisses my cheek but pulls away. I reach out with a free hand to pull her back for a kiss on the lips. I smile as I feel Huxley lean towards her to be held and Katie's arms hugging us.

"What the fuck is happening here?!"

Katie's POV

My heart was pounding in my chest as I kissed Melissa. I will never get tired of this. I could feel Huxley lean towards me and smile.

"What the fuck is happening here?!" We hear a gasp.

We both abruptly pull away to see Chyler staring gap-mouthed at us. Here we go.

"Chyler! So, yeah, about that" Melissa stumbles.

"You two have been hooking up?! I knew it!" She screeches.

"We have not been hooking up! The most we've done is kissed and that started yesterday" I explained.

"Are you guys going to go out now then?" She asked.

"Well I kind of just asked Katie, but I hope so" Melissa smiles. I realize she's looking at me and I blush.

I move closer to her to signal that I did and Huxley reached for me again. I gently took him from Melissa and he began to grab at the necklace I had put on. Laughing, I tried to stop him from pulling it and let him grab my finger.

"I'm so excited! Huxley loves you too which is perfect! You're like the Non-baby Daddy" Chyler laughs.

"Non-baby daddy?" I say confused.

"Yeah, you know, like you're the other parent but not biologically. Obviously, I mean you're a woman but you know what I mean" Chyler says.

"I think we should get to work. You ready non-baby daddy?" Melissa teases.

I roll my eyes and shift Huxley to one arm. With my other I grab Melissa's hand. Once we're walking away and Chyler is ahead of us, I turn to Melissa and lean to her ear. I lightly nibble it and kiss the side of her head.

"That name stays at home" I mutter.

I feel Melissa's hand squeeze mine and I smile. Filming goes by smoothly. Everyone else on cast was open and nice about Melissa and I. When we were finished filming we were exhausted. Melissa was walking up to me with Huxley asleep on her shoulder. As I watch them my heart gets warm again and I dont feel as exhausted.

"Ready to go home?" Melissa asks quietly.

My body goes on autopilot and my hand grabs her waist. The other gently caresses ger face. My lips meet hers and I feel her return the kiss. After a few moments I pull away and lead them to our car.

"What was that for?" Melissa smiles.

"I just really like you" I smile back. Melissa kisses my temple and we head home.

*****

Yellow Raccoons! Sorry for the slow updates but just been really busy. Love reading your comments and thank you to those eho have actually been giving their suggestions!  Hope y'all be good and hopefully I'll get to update soon. Stay trashy!