Chapter 8

Author's note:

Hello my honey's, I know it's been quite a long time since my last update. Life has been pretty interesting, I joined the Army and have been and still am in training for the last couple of months. Here's a new chapter and a giant apology for my absence. I really hope you guys enjoy this new one!

Kayla's POV

    "I'm uh gonna go upstairs and see what your sister is up to honey. Come up when you're done," I got up from Monica's bed and made my way upstairs. I couldn't believe my ears when she said the words, 'I love you' without even realizing she let them slip out of her mouth. My heart itself almost flipped out of my chest. Could she actually mean it? Did she really love me or was that an in the moment slip up? My mind was swimming in thoughts. I wanted to say so much to her, but all the words that I had fell short and disappeared. I couldn't admit to her that I too loved her could I? Ugh, I was going crazy with thoughts and I really needed to tell someone because I feel like my skull is going to explode from holding all of this in.

    I found Launa in her bedroom, rummaging around her closet. We have been best friends for so many years, told each other everything. She held my hand every step of the way through my divorce and I held hers when she had her miscarriage, but I was now keeping the biggest secret of a lifetime from her and I was dying to just come out and tell her, but I didn't want to put Monica in a bad space with her sister and I didn't want to add strain to our beautiful friendship. Again, so many thoughts running wild in my head, I just sat on her bed and waited for her to realize that I was there. She was talking to herself, and turning around in circles trying to figure out whatever it was that she was talking to herself about. All I could hope for was that when she found out she doesn't freak out like I imagine she would. Coming out of her closet she looked up and gasped loudly.

    "Kayla, what the hell dude!" She held her chest.

    "Sorry, I saw that you were in the closet talking to yourself, so I just sat here and waited for you to finish," I laughed a little and shrugged.

    "I thought you were downstairs with Monica. You really should announce yourself, I nearly had a heart attack messing around with you woman," she rolled her eyes.

    "Sorry, Monica was still getting dressed when I went down, so I thought I should just come bother you instead," I watched as she rolled the two big suitcases in the middle of the room towards the door.

    "So you did what I told you right and packed for a trip that would last the whole break?" She turned towards me with one of her perfectly arched eyebrows up in question.

    "Yes goofy, the suitcases are in the car. However when I was downstairs, I didn't see that Monica had a suitcase, does she even know that we're leaving today?" I raised an eyebrow back at her.

    "No, she has no idea what I have planned actually. She suggested a trip this morning, but I've had this in the works since her birthday, so I didn't tell her," she smiled.

    "So she's going to be the only one without clothes the whole trip?" I chuckled.

    "I already have her clothes in the beach house. That's where I was on my business trip," she smirked at me mischievously.

    "Oh you're good, like really good."

    We made our way downstairs, Launa having her luggage put in the car, while I went to pull my son from the game room they had in their house. Shortly after, Monica came up the stairs, and my heart literally jumped from my chest into my mouth, she looked amazing. She let her hair down from her usual ponytail, and it hung just above her waist, with a grey polo shirt on and dark pants to match. The purple shoes and silver jewelry was the nail in my coffin. How could she have gotten more beautiful than any regular day in that very moment. She caught me staring a little too long and sent a wink in my direction that set my soul on fire. There was definitely no doubt in my mind that in that moment in time I most certainly fell in love with her hard if I wasn't already.

    "Monica, stop smirking for three damn seconds and go back downstairs and grab your backpack, I don't know when we'll be back to the house so you'll probably want your computer and chargers and all the other stuff you take with you pretty much everywhere you go," Launa came back in the house from outside with a smile on her face looking at her younger sister.

    "Um okay, do I need anything else?" Monica looked rather confused by her sisters sudden demand.

    "No, I think you'll be fine with just that. We're all headed to the car, so just come out and lock up when you got everything," Launa motioned for Avery and I to follow her outside.

    Lost in my Lala land of how dreamy my girl looked, I didn't realize my son was even talking to me until he tapped my shoulder with a smile on his face. Shaking myself back to reality, I smiled at him and asked him to repeat whatever it was the he had just said.

    "I said that if you keep looking at Mon like that, Launa is really going to start asking some questions. Either talk to her about it already or tone it down with the heart eyes for her sister," he looked at me seriously for a split second.

    "Relax son, I plan on talking to her soon, I just have to talk to Mon first to see how she wants to go about doing so. And I do not give her heart eyes, you are dramatic sir," I chuckled and pushed him into the car.

    This vacation was going to be a good one and I plan on really digging into Monica's feelings and see if she really meant what she said about loving me because if so my heart is swollen with so much joy and happiness. Underneath the reaction that I gave her, I really wanted to take her in my arms and tell her that I love her just as much as she loves me. Plus I really needed to have a conversation with Launa about our relationship because I don't want to keep hiding how I feel about this girl from the world. I just pray that it goes well...