Chapter 1

First day of senior year and I couldn't be any more stoked! We were almost done with high school, and when I say we, I mean my best friend Avery and I. Avery has been my rock for basically my whole life. Through diapers, missing teeth, puberty, and me coming out of the closet; he was the brother I wished I had. I was there the day his mom Kayla found out that his dad Mitchell had been cheating with his co-worker Allison. That had been almost three years ago now. He was all mixed up for a long time after, but I was there to pick him back up.
    Anyways, back to the first day of senior year. I was on my way to pick up Avery, after my sister Launa had finally stopped crying and let me out off the house. Launa is my legal guardian, and has been since I was nine. My parents died in a car accident on their way to come get me from home on my birthday. Since that day, Launa has done everything to take care of me.
    I got to Avery's house and his mom answered the door to let me in. She let me know that Avery was STILL getting ready for school, so the both of us stood in the kitchen waiting for him to come down and that's when I noticed what she was wearing. Looking her over, I saw that she was in her fluffy black robe like every morning, with a hot pink lace bra on and the thong to match with a pair of midnight black Louis Vuitton's gracing her feet. I guess I was looking for too long because I was pulled out of my own head by the clearing of a throat from across the kitchen. I looked up and saw a grin plastered on Kayla's face. I mentally face-palmed and asked her to repeat herself.
    "I asked how you slept last night Mon," she chuckled.
    "Damn, I'm sorry Ms. K. I slept pretty well after I got off the phone with Avery," I laughed nervously.
    "Well good, I'm sorry that, that boy always takes so long to get ready," she sat in one of the chairs at their kitchen table.
    "It's all good, he always has to try and look at least half decent with a best friend like this," I pointed to myself.
    "I see Launa finally caved and bought you those shoes you wanted! You look good in all your boyish attire," she winked like she always did after looking over me and my outfits.
    "Awe shucks Kayla, don't go making me blush," I couldn't help but laugh as she did.
    "You two have got to be the oddest people I've ever known," Avery appeared in the kitchen doorway .
    "Someone had to keep me company while your ass took a decade to get ready," I smacked his shoulder.
    "Don't start getting fresh with my mom Jackson, save it for the girls at school," he rolled his eyes playfully.
    "I can get fresh with both," I turned and winked at his mom who just laughed a sing-song laugh, and with that laugh something within me exploded.
    'Come on you freak, we're going to be late for school and on the first day," Avery groaned and walked towards the door.
    "Have a good day kids! Love you both!" Kayla called out to us and grinned at me when I blew her a dramatic kiss.
    Getting into my car, Avery turned to look at me with the same look he gave after playing around with his mom, and like always I patted his head and laughed with a harmless shrug. He was the only child, so he hated when his attention was being split between the both of us, but I knew deep down he secretly liked having me as his sister basically.
    Pulling out the their driveway, I had to step on the gas because Avery was right about one thing, we were going to be late on our first day! When we pulled into the school parking lot, I laughed at the look on Avery's face. He shot me a look and got out of the car with a slam of my door. He hated when I drove faster than the speed limit; he told me once that one day I was going to be the death of him because of my crazy good looks and reckless driving. But he dramatic so I just laughed and kept going on about my day.
    With a flip of my hair over my shoulder, I shut my car door and headed to the front door of the school with Avery in tow behind me. There was a group of girls standing by the entrance just gawking at me as I passed by, so I shot them all a quick wink, causing them to swoon. Getting into the building, the roar of students came to life with no hesitation. The excitement rose from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head. My senior year, I couldn't wait for all that was to come.
    Avery and I found the line in which we had to stand in to get our schedules. To our satisfaction we had all our classes except for one. With smiles on our faces, we made our way to our first class, math, such an unnecessary subject, but oh well it had to be taken.
    The day end of the day rolled around (we only had four classes), and Avery was all pissy because a few girls had stopped me in the hall on our way out the building and told me to call them some time after all handing me their numbers. I laughed while walking away because I predicted something like this would happen (I know a little cocky, but I'm hot sooo) but only because I was no longer with my former girlfriend Nicky.
    Flashback...
    It was the last week of school last year, Nicky had just dropped me off at home after basketball practice, it was the pre-summer workouts. I kissed her and got out to go inside. Within seconds of getting into my house, I get a call from Avery. With a curious look, I answered the phone not expecting to hear from him so soon.
    "What's up ugly," I remember saying.
    "You're ugly. But I have tea for you but you aren't going to like it at all," he sounded so upset.
    "What is it Avery," I had plopped down onto my bed.
    "So, Nicky got caught kissing another girl today," he said in a low tone.
    "Nicky did what?" I wanted to make sure I had heard him right.
    "You're not hearing things Mon, she got caught with another girl. I'm so sorry sis," he sighed deeply.
    "You have a picture?" I wanted to see for myself.
    I looked at our messages and right there in front of my very eyes was Nicky, lip locked with another chick. I was speechless, what the hell!
    "I'll call you back Avery," and I hung up the phone. I couldn't believe it, she had actually cheated on me, and with a redhead! Was she serious? Without even thinking, I sent the picture to her asking what it was all about. My blood was starting to boil with the thought that she even thought that she could even get away with something like this. Just when I was about to pick up my phone to call her, she texted me back saying she could explain, and with that my heart sunk to the floor. I told her we were through and threw my phone across the room.
End of flashback...
    I gave all the girls my number back and told them to hit me up whenever. I wasn't looking for anything serious this year, I just wanted to have fun honestly. After that, Avery pulled me by my arm out of the building, giving away that he was more than ready to get home. I laughed the whole way to the car, he truly hated when he wasn't getting all of my attention, he was a little needy in that way.
    On the way to his house, I drove a little slower than I had that morning and he complained the whole time about the fact that he was still single. He had a girlfriend, but two weeks ago she broke up with him for one of her brothers best friends. He was a gorgeous man though, so he should have no problem getting with anyone now that school is back in session. We pulled up to the house and the sight of Ms. K's car in the driveway caused a smile to spread across my face. Avery noticed and smacked my arm with a glare. I laughed and got out the car while he took the time to roll his eyes.
    We stepped onto the porch and the giant front door flung open, revealing Kayla in a skin tight red dress, a little more coverage than her earlier attire. That something from this morning came to life again, I winked at her and walked inside brushing past her.
    "How was school my loves?" she asked seated back on the couch to where I'm guessing she was before coming to open the door.
    "Monica has groupies," Avery huffed, plopping down the couch across from her.
    "Oh really now, how many Mon," something flashed in her eyes when she looked up at me.
    "Avery is being dramatic, three girls came up to me and gave me their number as we were leaving school, nothing serious," I chuckled.
    "Ohhh, Monica "the heart throb" strikes again," she looked at me with this look in her eyes.
    I winked at her, "only when it counts."
    Avery groaned loudly, "okay that's enough flirting with my mother Monica, that's gross!"
    "I'm not flirting with her," I laughed, "if anything she's flirting with me," I shot another wink in Kayla's direction.
    "Oh honey, I'll flirt with you anyday. Pay Avery no mind," she winked back.
    By now you're probably thinking, what the hell is this woman thinking! The answer to that question would be, that this back and forth has been something we've done since I came out to them. We like to keep things fun, that's all... or so at least I thought.