Chapter 3

It's been a couple of days since my birthday and the kiss with Kayla, but nothing has gotten awkward. We still mess around with each other like always, but I could feel myself growing to want her more and more each day. The morning after the kiss happened, I was home with my sister and I told her that I believe I'm in love with an older woman. Of course she asked who the woman was and how I knew her and all that over-protective sister stuff, so I naturally caved and told her it was Kayla. My sister was never the type to blow up when I would say crazy things or when I upset her, so she simply just asked how I knew I loved her. I told her that every time I was in Kayla's presence everything just felt okay, that if I could choose anywhere in the world, her arms is where I'd want to be. I told her that every single time Kayla spoke, my heart pounded with excitement and when she wasn't around nothing seemed right. After hearing me pour my heart out, my sister just sat there with tears running down her face. I looked at her in confusion.
"You have the most beautiful soul I've ever had the chance to know," she said, wiping her eyes.
"Launa, I don't know what to do. I want to be with her, but at the same time I don't want to lose you or Avery over her. But at the same, same time, I feel incomplete without her," I sighed into my hands.
"Sweetie, I think you should just let it be for now. I love you and Kayla, but she's a solid sixteen years older than you and you need to focus on school, along with basketball," she looked at me with sympathy in her eyes.
"Yeah, you're probably right..." but I knew I was only blowing smoke up her ass.
"I love you Mon, you'll find a cute girl when the time is right, but for now just have fun," she came over and hugged me.
I smiled at her sweetly and went down to the basement to my room.
My head has been spinning since the kiss and that conversation only made it worse. I couldn't stop the thoughts of that moment from playing round and round in my head. My sister WAS right though, I needed to just have fun and focus on school this year. I knew though that, that isn't what my heart wanted. In my room, I took my phone out and started up a conversation with one of the girls that had given me her number on the first day of school; I think her name was MaKael or something like that. I could have fun with her, but definitely knew I wouldn't try to get into anything serious with this girl. I could use this little fling to my advantage and take my mind off of the whole Kayla thing for a while.
I sent a message to Kayla wishing that she had, had a good day with a winking emoji after I had finished getting some work done like I usually did every day.. My body and heart ached for her and it truly did hurt because I wanted to be able to tell Avery everything about how I was feeling, but I couldn't, not about his own mother. I'm sure he could tell there was something weighing me down though and I was longing to pour my heart out to him like I had with my sister, I felt like I was going to explode. To settle down for the night, I went to my bathroom to take a nice warm shower, but as I was about to get in my phone sounded that I had a new text message. I looked at it and it was a message from Kayla with an image attached to it. I opened our conversation thread and nearly dropped my phone in my toilet. Holy fuck, did I really just see what I thought I just saw. I readjusted my grip on my phone and unlocked it again and sure enough, there it was; a picture of her in nothing but a pair of Louis Vuittons and a pair of lace, black panties. I choked on my own saliva and the air around me seemed to disappear. How was I supposed to not want this women when she did things like this? She was teasing me because she knew I couldn't have her and it wasn't fair.
Instead of the warm shower I originally planned, I turned the water on cold because my hormones were raging and my impure thoughts of my best friends mom flooded my frontal cortex. After I finished, I shut my phone off and went back to my room and got dressed. I threw myself into getting all the homework I had over the weekend done, anything to keep my head clear of thoughts of Kayla's goddess-like body. This was going to be one hell of a day if I couldn't get it together, I had a paper to write!
A couple of hours into homework, I got my head on straight. I was almost done with everything when the video chat on my computer started going off. I looked over at it and saw Avery''s name on the screen, with a chuckle and a roll of my eyes I answered.
"What do you want ugly?" I sighed dramatically.
"Seriously, I'm not ugly, you are!" he yelled.
"Okay ugly, what do you want?"
"What are you doing and why haven't you been answering any of my messages?" he whined.
"I'm doing homework and I turned my phone off. What do you need?" I rolled my eyes at his neediness.
"I just need a little attention. Can I come over and do homework with you? Or maybe even just sit in your presence?" he looked at me with his signature puppy dog eyes.
"Yes Avery, you have to let me concentrate though. I've been writing this damn paper for hours and I still have homework for other classes to get done," I looked at him seriously.
"Okay, okay. I promise to let you do your thing. I have homework I need to get done anyway. Mom and I will be on our way soon,"" he said putting his stuff into his backpack.
"Okay, well I'll be down in my room when you get here," I shifted in my seat at the knowledge that his mom was going to be in the same house with my sister.
"See you in fifteen goose," he hung up the call.
I sighed deeply, I had just got hold of my concentration and now she was going to be in my house. Great, just great! I called up to my sister and let her know that they would be over soon. I tried and pushed all thoughts of Kayla out of my head again and got back to work. A very short time later, my door was busted open by Avery as he dramatically entered the room. I looked over at him with a raised eyebrow, he had obviously forgot the conversation we literally just had. He just smiled and pulled up another chair to my oversized desk. I looked back at my paper and it felt like it was getting shorter rather than longer, it was going to be a long night. I pushed it to the side and got out the rest of the homework I needed to get done instead of holding off on it until tomorrow morning.
After about only an hour of "focusing" on his homework, Avery started being overly obnoxious with his boredom. He earned the middle finger quite a few times, knowing good and well that I was actually trying to focus and get stuff done. Eventually though, he took the hint and went upstairs to hang out with my sister and his mom. Naturally, when he left I was able to focus again and get the rest of my homework done, leaving the paper for later on that night so I could take a break.
I made my way upstairs to everyone else and got an eyebrow raise from my sister, who in turn earned a stern look from me. I didn't feel like hearing it from her right now, especially with the topic of conversation sitting in the exact same room. I noticed that they had ordered out for dinner, so I helped myself to a phat plate of food and plopped down on the couch opposite of everyone. As soon as I did so, my stomach came to life with a mighty rumble that could've shaken the house foundation itself. Everyone looked over at me startled, Avery just barely holding in his laughter. Looking down, I patted my stomach and began going to town on the food in front of me.
As the day went on and turned into night, we laughed and teased about all the movies we chose to watch and how some of us knew all too many of the words in each movie. By the end of the day, my sides hurt from the amount of laughter that had taken over my body. I was glad to see that my sister and Kayla's relationship was unfaltered by what I had shared with my sister just a few days ago. I needed everything to just stay the same between the two of them.
The next day, my alarm for school went off and I almost threw my phone across the room. I didn't feel like doing it today, I stayed up way too late last night and I didn't even finish my paper. Today was going to be wonderful... After getting dressed, I made my way upstairs to the kitchen where my sister already had a cup of coffee waiting for me along with breakfast. I gave her a grateful smile and sat down to eat.
"You look like crap Mon," my sister laughed.
"Kiss my ass Launa," I hissed, "you guys don't know when to sleep. You may not have anything to do today, but I still have school."
"Do you want me to call you out for the day Cry Baby?" she still had a smile on her face.
"Don't mess around with me, you always ask that and then still make me go to school after long nights," I frowned at her.
"Monica do you want me to call you out or not?" she dug her phone out of her purse.
"If you're being serious then yes, I don't feel like going in today." I rose an eyebrow of uncertainty.
"Okay, that's all you had to say," she smiled sweetly.
"I was meaning to ask, um are we going to do anything for my birthday this weekend since we didn't do anything on Friday?" I asked looking down.
I hated asking for stuff for my birthday, giving the unfortunate circumstances of the day. It was my eighteenth though and I kinda wanted to do something fun for this one.
"They would want you to have a party and celebrate your birthday Monica. It's not your fault they're gone sweetie. You don't need to worry about this weekend. All you need to do is some shopping for yourself. And stop feeling guilty about Mom and Dad," she came over and hugged me.
I hugged her back with heaviness in my heart, "you are the best sister a girl could ask for. Mom and Dad would be really proud of the parent you've become."We hugged for a while before letting each other go.
A little background on my sister and I. When I was born, my sister was fifteen, a year younger than Avery's mom when he was born. The day my parents died, she came in the house crying and just picked me up and held me in her arms, sobbing for a really long time. We have always been extremely close given our age difference. She took over at my parents company after everything happened and made sure I was always taken care of when I was growing up. She never let me down, even after she had a miscarriage right around the time Kayla and Mitch were getting divorced, she never let me down. Like Avery, she's been my rock when I needed her the most and even when I didn't think I did. She's been a gift to me.
With not going to school that day, Launa took me out shopping for my birthday, since she had been busy with her boyfriend the day of. She told me this wasn't my present though, which I should've guessed because she has done something similar every year since I was ten. Shopping had always been my favorite and a great pick me up when I needed it, and today I felt like I needed it. I wanted something new, so I decided while on our shopping trip that I would redo my entire wardrobe. The clothes I had now were great but I needed a fresh start and today was that day, I also wanted clothes that made Kayla want me just the same as I wanted her.
After hours going from store to store and thousands of dollars later, I felt really good about the purchases I'd made and I'm pretty sure my sister was getting tired of watching me try stuff on. On our way to the house, she asked me for my car keys and I looked at her like she was crazy, why would she need my keys?
"Monica, just give me the damn keys," she said with her hand out but eyes still on the road.
Rolling my eyes, I took my keys out of my pocket and handed them to her, "fine, here."
"Thank you, you'll get them back tonight," she slid the set into her purse.
"Tonight! Why are you taking them from me? What did I do wrong?" I was starting to freak out, was I in some kind of trouble?
"You didn't do anything wrong, you'll get your keys back tonight," she said as we were finally pulling into our driveway.
"Alright, but you better actually give them back and not do anything to my baby or I will hurt you," I warned her seriously. My Camero was like my child.
The rest of my day went on pretty well, Launa left with my car to do Lord knows what with it. I received a text from that MaKael girl to come hang out, so against my better judgement I gave her my address and told her to come on over. My thoughts had been full of what Kayla would think of my new look and style, I wanted something to take my mind off of her for at least a little while, while my sister was out with my car.
Not much later, the girl showed up to the house and we just started watching movies, it was only around four o'clock or so, so movies just seemed right. She was a nice girl, but no matter what I tried, I kept comparing her to everything about Kayla. I knew in the moments I was spending with this girl that she wouldn't be able to do anything for me except maybe become a really good friend. My heart knew what it wanted and she wasn't it, not even if I tried to give her a chance. Finishing up a second movie, I became uninterested in hanging out with anyone anymore and asked MaKael if she would kindly go home and leave me to the rest of my day which she had no problem with, but I told her I would text her and see her at school the next day. Not too long after, my sister shows back up at the house after being gone for what felt like a decade. I looked up at her as she came into the living room with an expected look on my face.
"Where the hell have you been with my car woman?" I asked her.
"Oh calm down, your car is outside in mint condition," she said throwing me my keys.
When I looked down at them however I noticed a slight difference with the key fob itself, so I looked up at her in confusion, "what did you do to my car? This isn't my key Launa."
"It is you car, you go and check if you don't believe me," she said with a shrug.
Getting up because I didn't really trust how calm she was being right now, I went outside and checked on my car. When I got outside though, my red Camero wasn't in its normal spot, but in its place was a brand new black one. I looked over at her since she followed me out and just looked at her with tears in my eyes.
"It's yours Mon, brand new. Happy late Birthday little sister," she smiled and came over to hug me.
"I hate you but I love you. Thank you so much, I'm literally crying right now. This is the one I've been wanting since the last time we had to take Red to the shop!" I cried tears of joy.
"I know, I really hope you like it. I got it fully loaded so that's what took me so long," she kissed my forehead.
"You really are the best sister in the world," I hugged her tightly.
The rest of the week flew by, days blurred together and soon it was the weekend again, Saturday to be exact. We were getting the house ready for my family and friends get together, to celebrate my eighteen years of life. Avery had insisted that he and his mom be the first ones over, by coming to help get everything ready. They got there and the first thing I noticed was what Kayla was wearing for the day, a pair of black skinny jeans, a red halter top shirt and a pair of red Louis Vuittons to match, with her hair pinned up in loose curls. She looked beautiful beyond words. They helped us get the backyard in order and helped add water candles into our pool and hot tub. Family and some of the kids from school started showing up just a little after noon to kick off the celebration. I had changed into one of the new outfits I had bought a few days before and sprayed on some of this new cologne I wanted to try out.
After the party had be going for a while I snuck off inside the house to get away from all the girls and their grabby, horny hands. I needed a little break to myself, so I made it down to my room for a small breather. I looked myself over in the large mirror I had by my closet and smile at myself cockily. No wonder those girls were all over me, I looked hot. I laughed and laid back onto my bed. Not too long after my door opened and closed.
"This isn't the bathroom, so get out," I said not looking to see who had even come in.
"You would think with a bunch of people here to celebrate your birthday, you'd be a little bit happier," Kayla's voice rang throughout the room.
I looked over towards the door and there she was leaning against it casually, "what're you doing in here Kayla," I let out a sigh.
"I came to check on you, I saw you sneak in here to get away from your little fans," her voice seeped with annoyance at the word "fans."
"Yeah, I needed a little breather from all that," I shrugged still laying back on my bed.
"What's wrong baby," she said, her heels clicked as she walked towards me.
That word, it hit me hard, I almost began to cry, "don't."
"Don't what Mon?" she said standing over me now.
"Don't call me baby. Just don't," I kept my eyes on the ceiling as I felt tears threatening to fall from my eyes.
"Monica, what's wrong?" she sounded worried.
"What's wrong Kayla, what's wrong is that I have a party full of girls upstairs waiting for me and I can't really enjoy myself with them because not one of those girls is the one I want," I sat up and looked her directly in the eyes.
"Monica, baby," she reached out to me, but i got up before she could touch me.
"Don't! Do you not understand, do you not see it? It's you, it's been you since that first day of school Kayla. Since the moment in the game room, it's been you. But you told me I couldn't, that we couldn't. It hurts dammit, it hurts because I know I can't have you because of Avery and my sister. I know I can't have you because I'm too young. Dammit! It hurts okay," I was standing in front of my mirror with tears streaming down my face.
"Monica look at me," she said.
"No, just go please," I said in a low voice.
"Monica, look at me now," she said, this time from directly behind me.
I looked up into my mirror at the reflection of her face, "what is it Kayla?"
"You don't think I see, but I do. You are the one that can't see it. Since that moment in the game room, I knew. You don't think this is hard for me too. Seeing you out there with all those girls touching on you, flirting with you, gawking over you, I hate it. I hate it so much that I want to scream," she looked back at my reflection in the mirror.
"Then why, why did you say that we could never? Why?" I challenged her.
"Monica, don't you think that I would want nothing more than to be wrapped in your arms daily, than to be wrapped around a bottle of wine," she looked at me sincerely.
"I love you, you understand that right. I may be young and you may be older and my best friends mom, but I love you," I turned around and said to her face.
"I..." she didn't finish before pulling me by my shirt collar and wrapping her arms around me and enveloped me into a hard, yet passionate kiss.
                                                Kayla's POV
"Don't! Do you not understand, do you not see it? It's you, it's been you since that first day of school Kayla. Since the moment in the game room, it's been you. But you told me I couldn't, that we couldn't. It hurts dammit, it hurts because I know I can't have you because of Avery and my sister. I know I can't have you because I'm too young. Dammit! It hurts okay," Monica yelled as she walked across the room after I tried to touch her cheek.
I looked at her and I saw the pain all over her face and from the side profile of her eyes. The same pain I felt as I watched her up there with those girls, laughing and touching on her freely. I walked towards her.
"Monica look at me," I asked of her.
"No, just go please," her voice was so low and full of hurt.
"Monica, look at me now," I demanded from behind her at that point.
She looked up at my reflection in the mirror with a look of defeat on her face, "what is it Kayla?"
I looked at her and knew I couldn't keep lying to myself, she was the one, "You don't think I see, but I do. You are the one that can't see it. Since that moment in the game room, I knew. You don't think this is hard for me too. Seeing you out there with all those girls touching on you, flirting with you, gawking over you, I hate it. I hate it so much that I want to scream," I looked her in those reflected eyes.
"Then why, why did you say that we could never? Why?" she was challenging me now.
"Monica, don't you think that I would want nothing more than to be wrapped in your arms daily, than to be wrapped around a bottle of wine," i told her the truth, giving a sincere look.
"I love you, you understand that right. I may be young and you may be older and my best friends mom, but I love you," she turned around so she was actually looking at me.
I was shook, I didn't expect for her to say the words she just had, "I..." I never finished what I was going to say, instead I grabbed her by her shirt collar and pulled her into my arms, wrapping her in a passionate kiss for the ages. She may have been my son's best friend but in that moment I couldn't deny the fact that I was in love with this young girl. I poured all my feelings that have been bottled up since the first time I kissed her into the kiss we were sharing in this moment. I wanted her to know and feel that I too felt the same. Seconds passed into minutes and after what felt like forever she pulled away from me and just stared into my eyes.
"You woman are going to be the death of me. What is it that you want from me," she was gasping for air just as I was.
"I want you to be mine Monica. And I mean it, I want you, no I need you," I looked at her and pleaded with her with my eyes.
"I need you too, but what about Avery and Launa?" she asked.
"We can't tell them anything yet, for now honey, this is going to just have to be kept a secret," I looked at her and saw a smirk creep onto her face.
"I'm good at keeping secrets," she said and looked at me with this look of hunger in her eyes.
"Oh don't think you're getting any of this anytime soon missy, you have to work your way up to that," I smirked and pulled her back in for another sweet kiss.
I don't know how we were going to do this but all I knew was that I wanted this to really work out and I would do everything in my power to make sure it did.