Chapter 9

The two pups continued their conversation and shared some stories of their most recent rescues.

"Want to know how many times I had to tell Humdinger to stop poking that tree?" Chase asked the cockapoo.

"How many?" She asked, trying to hold in her laughter.

"Enough times to see a bee nest fall on him." The German Shepherd replied before the two pups burst into laughter. Chase and Skye had a great time laughing with each other.

"Want to know the best part?" Chase asked while Skye snickered.

"What?"

"As he tried to get away, his pants fell down!" He told her as he couldn't hold it in anymore. Chase was telling Skye what had happened on his last mission. The two pups couldn't help but laugh at Humdinger's attempt to get some apples. Finally the pups had calmed down from laughing.

"Where is he now?" Skye asked, wiping a tear from her eye.

"Oh Humdinger? Probably back in Foggy Bottom." Chase replied, still smiling

"Want to know how my last mission went?" Skye asked.

"Is it funny?"

"Yeah."

"Tell me."

"So I'm rescuing a man off a roof, right? As I'm about to lower my harness to him, I hear something that sounded like a fart." Skye told him.

"Yeah. What else?" The German Shepherd snickered.

"When I gave him my harness and he straps into it, I could've swore I heard him say 'That was my last pair of Hanes.' when we took off." Skye told him as they both were trying to hold in their laughter.

"And when I put him down, you can see a brown stain on the back of his pants." She finished as she and Chase burst into laughter again. Skye was laughing to hard that she didn't notice that her paw was on top of Chase's paw. Before any of them could see this, Chase flopped on his back in laughter. The two pups finally calmed down again and sighed.

"How did one question about my music taste lead to this?" Chase asked with a laugh.

"Maybe that's what happens when you have too much fun with one of your friends." Skye replied with a chuckle. Then it got awkward for a few seconds until Chase realized what Skye had said.

"Uh...did you just...?" Chase stammered.

"Did I just do what? What did I do?" Skye asked, getting a bit bewildered.

"Did you just call me your...friend?" Chase finally asked.

Skye didn't want to admit it but she did like him as a friend and more than a friend at the same time. She looked at the ground, trying to avoid eye contact with the shepherd. She finally spoke up again.

"Maybe." She answered.

"Maybe?" Chase asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay. Sure." She finally answered his question with a hint of embarrassment. She then looked at the sky and saw that it was almost dusk. She then got an idea and asked the German Shepherd beside her.

"Want to play a game?" The cockapoo asked the German Shepherd in a playful manner. Chase was confused by Skye's sudden change of behavior.

"Um, sure?" Chase answered, still confused.

"Okay. Tag, you're it!" She said as she tagged the shepherd on the nose and ran off into the woods. This caught Chase off guard but still managed to chase after her. 

"Not this again." He  muttered as he ran after her. He ran after her and found her in the same spot she was in when he hurt her feelings. Skye was standing by the ledge, staring at the sunset. He was confused to why she stooped here. Chase then took a seat by her.

"Tag." he said as he gently nudged her, which made her smile at him. The two pups watched the sunset as if it was the only thing to admire.

"Is this the reason you brought me here?" The German Shepherd asked her.

"Maybe. Beautiful isn't it?" Skye asked him. Chase then decided to take a risk.

"Yeah. But not as beautiful as the pup I'm thinking about." He replied.

"And who would that be?" The cockapoo asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You." He replied with a smirk. Skye then felt her heart race.

"Really?" She asked, getting excited. Chase just chuckled.

"No! But you're close." He told her. Skye wasn't buying his response one bit and knew that something was up. She then turned her head towards the sunset and laid her head on the German Shepherd's shoulder, making Chase blush. After a few minutes, Chase and Skye got up and headed back to the campsite.

"So, what was your favorite part about today?" Chase asked the cockapoo beside him.

"I liked when you told me that you also had the same music taste as me." She replied with a smile.

"Yeah. Me too. We need to hang out some more, friend." He said. Skye just smiled at him. The two pups reached the campsite and went inside the tent. Chase then faced Skye.

"So we're friends now?" He asked in an awkward manner.

"Yeah. Guess so. Why?" She asked. Chase started to stammer.

"Well...it's just that...we've been enemies for so long and-" Skye put a paw on his paw.

"Hey. Forget about that stuff. We're friends now and that's all that matters now. Okay?" She told him.

"Okay." He replied before getting ready to lay down. Skye did the same.

"Goodnight, Chase." Skye said

"Goodnight, Skye." Chase said back.

And both of them fell soundly asleep.