Chapter 11: Counting Names

When Vincent left for his meeting, boredom struck after an hour of idling sitting in the glass encased office. No amount of mobile games or watching the clouds could curb her boredom. Watching the clock, she followed the hand as it ticked away.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Her eyes began to close and jolting awake, she scowled at the mind numbing clock. Coffee, she thought, a cup of coffee would do the trick.

"Beth, is there a coffee machine I could use?" Leaving the office, she had found the woman at her desk. She too looked to be engrossed in typing. Everyone was typing in this building, she thought.

"Yes, there is one on the floor below us-in the break room."

Nodding she left the woman to her work. After a bit of searching she eventually located the break room and the coffee machine in question. It wasn't like anything at the cafe but it would do. Placing four cups, she began prepping the grounds, since she was there she might as well take a cup for Vincent, Sebastian, and Beth. She was sure they would appreciate a hot cup of coffee to fuel them through the day. Yes, she thought, that way she wouldn't feel entirely useless.

Humming to herself, she watched the stream of coffee pour into the pot. The comforting aroma made her smile.

"Jewel?"

She flinched, her smile evaporating. Her luck was awful. Slowing turning around she saw Josh standing behind her. Gone was his haggard appearance, with his neatly arranged hair and crisp suit, he was beginning to look like his usual self.

"Hello Josh." She lamely replied.

"What are you doing here? Are you following me?"

She felt her mouth fall open. Following him? He was the one who had tried to accost her the last time they met.

But as she opened her mouth to say just that, a slender woman appeared by his side. She wasn't one to notice this, and hated when men spoke as such, but she couldn't help but gawk at her ample chest and narrow waist. She pressed her body against Josh and stunned, she watched as he threaded his arm around her tiny waist. Really, how in the world did one have such a narrow waist! The woman laid her hand on his shoulder and the movement caused Jewel to catch the dazzling smile she directed at Josh.

She knew that face.

It was the same woman from their anniversary night. And on her finger, she sported a ring Jewel had bookmarked to buy when Josh and her had enough money. I will buy you that exact ring the second I can afford it-the ring is made for you. Guess it wasn't the price tag that was stopping him from getting the ring.

"Who is this? Do you know this girl, Josh?"

Of course, the woman had a sultry voice.

"No, she's no one to worry yourself over."

The woman turned to her and Jewel watched as the recognition flashed in her eyes.

"You're the one that walked in on us." She said and disentangling herself from Josh, she stepped in front of her with her hands on her hips.

"Are you stalking my fiance? He ended things with you months ago. Why are you turning up at his apartment, and now at his work? This is a law firm, you can't be walking around freely. How did you even get up here?"

She questioned and Jewel was stunned as her words sank in. Months?

Looking to Josh she whispered, "How long?"

His face changed. Sneering he pulled the woman back into his arms and said in a venomous tone. "Did you really expect me to wait for you? No man will ever wait for you. I stuck it out for a while, thinking you were just nervous. You were always a mousy little girl when we were young. So I gave you the benefit of the doubt. But," he said looking at the voluptuous woman, "Alice here never held anything back. She lets me do all the things I want with her and she is an active participant in bed."