Chapter 36: Five years without you pt. 3

She surrendered her weight to him. Melting against him until the point where he ended and she began became one. And when his hand came to rest on her cheek, she sighed in relief for the touch she had starved for. Tipping her head back, he caught her trembling mouth in a slow kiss. A sound of a sob and a laugh escaped her lips. He was here. Vincent was here. His thumb brushed along her cheek to bring her closer and angle her mouth so he could taste her. Welcoming him, she tangled her tongue with his.

When he broke the kiss, Vincent rested his forehead against hers. Neither spoke. Their breath mingling between them. The storm outside forgotten.

He pressed a tender kiss between her brows, on either tightly closed eye, the corner of her trembling lips, and then behind her ear, where he knew she loved to be kissed. Fresh tears welled in her eyes.

If it was a dream, please don't wake.

She wanted this moment to last for the rest of her existence. Let her forever life in this moment, in the arms of the man she lost, in the arms of the man she loved.

Let her exist only in his arms.

She pinched her eyes closed. If she never opened them, she could stay here forever.

"Look at me, love."

His voice sent a dagger through her heart. The sweet sound of those words brought her pain and joy in equal parts.

"I need to see you, love. Open your eyes."

His thumb brushed against a stray tear and she reluctantly opened her eyes.

He was still there.

He was still holding her.

His hair was short, gone were the long locks that had fell over his brow. He was tanned, the olive tone to his skin making his dark eyes look even more piercing. But the gentle curve of his lips as he tipped her chin up and caught her mouth in a slow kiss was the same. This was her Vincent.

"You promised m-me you wouldn't leave."

Giving her a sad smile he pulled her into a tight hug, engulfing her with his arms until the only thing that surrounded her was Vincent. And in that cocoon of him, she allowed the tears to flow. Sobs shook her body as the rain coating both of them mingled with her tears. The pain she felt that fateful night when she watched the doctors cart him away came back to her. And once again she was in that hospital watching the man she loved, unknowingly, be ripped away from her.

"It wasn't safe for you, or for me that night. Once I was stable, Alfred moved everyone out of there. I fought him desperately, I had to know where you were, but he had me sedated and when I came to, I was already on a plane. He promised that he would keep you safe and said it was best if I distanced myself from you. I never left you by choice. Every day that I was away from you was hell."

Gazing up at him, unable to divert her eyes for even a second, Jewel listened to his explanation.

"I had to make sure Antonio wouldn't come searching for me. Or worse go after you. Alfred covered up what happened that night, made sure the right people had their pockets lined and their mouths shut. The house was locked up and Parker was given strict instructions to keep the firm running while my name was kept out of the media."

Moving his hand to the small of her back, he drew circles with his thumb in the damp fabric. But it felt as if he was touching her skin and she arched into his caress.

"Antonio is dead. The Cipriano family is dissolved and will never rise again. The feud that began between two power hungry men can finally be put to rest."