Chapter 33: Before Vincent

"Jewel!"

The voice sounded far away. And then the pain came. She fell against the asphalt, a shooting pain sparking from where her head hit the hard ground. There was a weight on her. A body. The force of the impact had knocked the air out of her and combined with the stars in her vision, she was incapacitated. It was through this haze, that she heard the screech of tires and then saw the blinding glow of headlights. The cars were fast approaching. They stopped and together the doors flew open. Men ducked behind the doors and open fired. The repeated sound of bullets echoed until they combined into a long ringing.

Vincent was on her. His weight keeping her in place. She tired to move but his wide chest, kept her arm trapped under his form.

"Vincent?" She said, but found it hard to hear her own voice as men yelled and got back into their cars. The silver car was making its escape and soon the silhouetted cars sped after him, all in pursuit of Antonio. The smell of rubber against the road filled the air. They had to get out of here. Move to where it was safe. Clenching her jaw she tried to free her lodged hand. With a groan, she was free and the raking light of passing headlights illuminated her hand.

Her fingers shook as she saw the crimson blood that painted her skin.

"Vincent!"

With a bout of strength, she pushed him unto his back and scrambled to her knees. Bending over his chest she saw the dark patch of blood growing larger by the second. He was pale and his breathing was shallow, his chest barely rising as he took in laboured breathes. Pressing down on the general area of the wound, she heard him groan and relief washed over her when he cracked one eye open.

"Oh thank God!" She said looking upward for a second, "What were you thinking! Why did you jump in front of a bullet!"

Her hands pressed down on the wound but it wasn't enough. She frantically tried to wad his shirt against the wound, but no amount of pressure was stopping the flow of blood and both of her hands were stained red.

"You were...he was going to-" he tried speaking but his eyes fluttered as he struggled to stay awake. Patting her blood soaked hand against his cheek she said, "Hey, stay with me now. C'mon, Vincent, you promised you wouldn't leave me. You are man of you word, right? Stay with me. S-stay awake."

When he didn't respond to her words, she felt her arms go weak as a pulse of terror went through her body. Whipping around to the cars speeding away, she yelled, "Help!"

"Vincent needs help! Someone! Help!" She shouted but her voice was drowned out by bullets being fired and men yelling to follow the silver car. She couldn't care less about Antonio at that moment. When the last of the cars were speeding away, she looked on hopelessly and shouted, "Help!"

Sirens sounded in the distance and she saw the growing glow of red and blue lights. The police were approaching. If they found her like this, found Vincent like this-they would do more harm than help. Vincent was growing cold and the minimal colour on his face had also drained. She hiccuped as sobs shook her body. Raising her hand to his cheek she caressed the face that had smiled at her, looked upon her with love and desire, and taught her how to love again. Oblivious to the blood she was smearing on both of them she fell against his chest and cried as her life slipped out of her fingers.

A hand on her shoulder startled her. It was Alfred. He pushed her aside and grabbed at Vincent.

"Get his shoulder, we need to get out of here before the police come."

When she didn't instantly respond, he gripping her shoulders and shook, "Get your wits about you! We don't have time!"

Nodding she ducked under Vincent's arm and lugged his heavy body to the back of a black car. The door slammed shut and Alfred sped away.