Chapter 1: Mystery Man

"Bye Elle! I'm going to lock up and head out!" Jewel said as she took off her apron and haphazardly shoved it inside her tote bag.

"Alright, Jewel! I'll see you tomorrow." Elle responded from the kitchen.

Five years ago Elle opened up "Elle's Coffee Shop" and Jewel happened to be passing by when a 'help wanted' sign was taped to the window. She was called in the next day and offered a job as a barista. Elle warned her that the hours would be long and she couldn't promise a great pay in the beginning. But despite everything, she was ready to help the kind woman following her dream of owning a coffee shop. Over the years, their friendship grew and she could confidently say that Elle was more sister than boss to her.

Jewel told her everything when it came to her life. And when the moment struck, Elle would delve into tales of her spontaneous love life as well. With only seven years between them in age, Elle had lived a much larger and grand life than what Jewel could claim to have led.

You are twenty-five! Why you are settling down with your one and only boyfriend is beyond me. She could hear Elle's voice saying those words and shaking her head she made towards the door. Today was a special day and nothing could change that.

"Jewel!" Elle called and hearing the clicking of her heels against the hardwood floor, she turned to see the woman approaching her with a wide grin and a bag in her hand.

"Yes?" Jewel said as she pulled the hair tie out of her long hair. Leaning down to pick up an umbrella, she noted the grin on Elle's face had grown to a large smile. Raising a suspicious brow at the women, Jewel looked at the bag she held out.

"Just take it!" She said pushing the bag towards her. Her eyes had a mischievous gleam in them and grabbing the bag from her she peered inside. What greeted her brought a deep flush to her cheeks.

"ELLE!" She said while staring down at the bright pink lingerie that sat inside the bag.

"My last boyfriend loved it when I wore bright pink lingerie on our anniversary. Trust me when I say, if you walk to Josh wearing only this, he won't be able to keep his hands off you! And I've noticed you these past few days, sweetie you need a nice long lovema─"

Jewel blushed bright red from her words. "I get it! But Josh doesn't care about this stuff. He is different from other guys. He really does love me and doesn't expect me to please him with my body every night. He says he only needs me, nothing else."

She smiled, remembering the first time he had asked her out. It was four years ago, but she remembered it as if it was yesterday.

"Jewel, I have to ask you something." Josh had mumbled as they sat down to eat lunch at his apartment. He had invited her over to boast about his new job and the added freedom that came with it. She knew he wanted this job more than anything, having dreamed of one day working in a renowned law firm.

"Hmm" She had said when he didn't ask his question. She could still remember the endearing tint of pink on his cheeks. He only ever blushed when he was nervous.

"We've known each other for a long time now right?" He has asked. The flush building and laughing she had said, "of course, we grew up together."

"Yeah, we did." he mumbled. "But that's not what I wanted to ask. I really like you Jewel. You make me happy and I enjoy your company. And I wanted to ask if you...wanted to go out with me. Like on a date?"

Jewel smiled at the memory. Elle on the other hand, watched her with her eyes narrowed.

"Jewel, babe, he says that but does he feel that?" Elle asked crossing her arms and leaning back against a bar stool. "I have been with enough guys to know that they will say or do anything to keep a girl around-especially if they think they can get her into bed."