Chapter 31: A fine day

She woke, stretching her arms wide on either side of her. The bed was cold and turning her head, she saw Vincent's side empty. He must have left early for work. Not dwelling on the matter, she kicked the sheets away and headed into the washroom to shower. Humming to herself, she thought about what she would do today. After a quick breakfast, she would head to Elle's. Last she heard from Elle, she was gushing over a new sign she had ordered. Hoping to see it in person, she donned her clothes and left the room.

Vincent should be back around the same time as her. But she decided to give him a call and maybe they could get a quick lunch if he wasn't too busy. He had dropped everything and gone with her, the least she could do was give him space to work.

"Good morning, Meredith," she greeted cheerfully. Gwen was seated at the long table as well and seeing her, Jewel shot her a wide smile. It was a fine day, one should smile on such a fine day.

"Good morning dear! Come and sit," Mrs. Blood waved a hand to the chair on her right. With a hop in her step, Jewel took the seat beside the woman and thanked the staff that placed a plate of food in front of her.

She was a ray of sunshine. But no further was a rumbling rain cloud in the shape of 'Gwen'.

"What has you so cheerful?"

Turning her beaming smile to Gwen, she said, "It is a fine day. How are you, Gwen?"

She was oddly giddy. Even Gwen couldn't sour her mood today. If Vincent and her continued as they were, she would wager that her elated state for last for days to come.

Chuckling, Meredith asked, "I see your trip did wonders on your mood. Am I safe to assume, you and Vincent enjoyed yourselves?"

Blushing, she quickly spooned her breakfast into her mouth. The action caused the woman to laugh with earnest and she heard Gwen groan. The sour woman stood, "I'm heading out. I'll be back later."

Meredith and Jewel followed her retreating figure and once Gwen was out of earshot, Vincent's mother sighed, "When will that girl leave."

Brows raised she turned to the woman. Seeing her confusion Meredith explained, "She comes and goes as she pleases. At first I thought Vincent fancied her, so I tolerated her presence. But now that I see my son with you, I was hoping he would ask her to leave. The girl has it in her mind that he will marry her-foolish girl."

Nodding she turned back to where Gwen had disappeared. Maybe she should speak to Vincent? Would it make her sound clingy? Jealous? She didn't want him to think she was either. Worrying her lip she looked down at her breakfast. Maybe she would speak to Gwen.

The next she was with her, she would casually bring up when her flight back home was. That would be the best course of action. It would sound as if she was only curious. Smiling to herself, she turned to Meredith.

"I'm going to head out too. I'm going to stop by Elle's and maybe grab lunch with Vincent."

"Have fun, dear. I will be here." Vincent's mother said and she mentally noted to invite her out for coffee once the cafe was open.

***

Vincent fell into his office chair. Pulling the tie from his neck he leaned his head back and looked up at the ceiling.

The day was chalking out to be a complete bitch.

First, he received a call from Parker in the morning saying that he was needed at the firm when all he wanted to do was spend the day in bed with Jewel. When he finally got to the firm, Parker was in a shouting match with the opposing lawyers of the pending merger they were working on and having to be the level headed party, he spent the entire time negotiating new terms and drafting paperwork.