Chapter 17: I want you

When she came to, she was greeted by the beeping of machines.

Vincent.

She tried to sit up but a pair of hands pressed her back into the bed. She blinked and Elle's face came into focus above her. She was in a hospital. The barren white walls and the smell of sterility surrounded her. Where was Vincent?

"Easy there, you need to rest. You've had quite a day."

"Elle? Where-?"

"You're in a hospital. I'm here. I'm so sorry, babe. If it wasn't for me, none of this would have happened. I shouldn't have told Gerry to call you. I should've just signed when I came home. I'm so sorry, Jewel."

What?

"I-I don't know what you're saying. Why are you sorry? You have nothing to be sorry about."

"Oh Jewel, you are way too good for this world."

Elle sat back in her chair, her eyes were red rimmed. Seeing this, she reached out a hand in comfort and clasped her hand. Elle was trembling, her bottom lip was held by her teeth and Jewel felt the moisture of her tears on their joined hands.

"What are you doing here? Weren't you on vacation?" Jewel asked with a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"Vincent called, he said you were mugged. You were found in an alley, hurt and unconscious. We rushed back as soon as we could. Vacation be damned, you are more important." Elle looked at their clasped hands, adjusting her grip she tightened her hold on her hand.

"We?"

Elle chuckled, "Oh, I completely forgot. Sebastian gave me the biggest surprise. He showed up in a fancy car, smartly dressed, and introduced himself as Parker. At first I was confused and thought he was joking. After laughing in the poor guy's face, I recognized him under all that glitz and glamour. I was with him when I heard. I can't stop thinking what would have happened if not one found you-"

Her voice hitched and she saw fresh tears in her eyes.

So that was the story Vincent was telling everyone. That she was mugged and had been found by a good Samaritan. No one knew what really happened. How she ended up in the hospital and who had attacked her. Who had attacked her? The man never told her his name.

I'll leave it to him to tell you who I am.

"You lost a lot of blood when they found you. And to think, that while I was with a boy, my friend was fighting for her life."

"Don't think about that. I'm fine now, that's all that matters."

Elle nodded and sniffled.

"Where is Vincent and Sebastian?" She asked when Elle had calmed down.

"Sebastian had some urgent work and Vincent is calming down outside. He wasn't being the most cooperative when the nurses were tending to you. He had to be removed."

Her eyebrows shot up. Removed? Elle chuckled and nodded her head. How bad was is that he was banished to the waiting room?

"He wouldn't let them touch a hair on your head without him shouting to be careful. That man has it bad for you and I'm happy that he does, you deserve coddling."

She sat stunned as Elle left the room. She tried to sit up but a throbbing pain in her leg prevented her from moving. She was saved from having to call someone for help when the door opened and Vincent walked through. He looked worse than her. His face was pale, the top buttons of his shirt were open and the sleeves were haphazardly rolled up. His hair, that she had always seen styled with care, fell flat on his forehead.