Chapter 8: strangers to Sisters

We arrived in Sioux Falls, South Dakota by early moring. The show was in two days but we were making good time and got there early. We were staying at a hotel close to the venue and I was rooming with the girls while the band was split into two separate rooms. 

Once we were all all unpacked and settled in, Mya offered to take me shopping and get me a few more items and clothes that would last me the rest of the tour. If the band had thought of a plan to help me, I hadn't been told what it was but they were doing little things every day that helped but in the grand scheme of things didn't seem like much.

I know they said I wasn't a burden but I was starting to feel like one. They were wasting their time and money on me. I had no way to repay them. I still hadn't grasped why they were helping me. Why me? What was I to them? There are plenty of other people in worse situations who they could help. Why did they stop for me? I'm no one special.

"How have you been holding up these past few weeks?" Mya asked as we walked into the store.

"Fine." I replied. "I'm just worried, I guess."

"That's understandable." Mya put her hand on my shoulder. "But we're gonna help you, I promise."

I wanted to ask her how. I wanted to tell her that felt like a burden or that I didn't seem like they were helping me. Even though I didn't understand it, I was grateful they let me come with them and for the clothes and support but other than that...Nothing had changed.

"What have you thought about the tour so far?" Mya asked as we walked to the next store.

"It's been really interesting." I said with a shrugg. "It's kinda cool seeing what all goes into a show."

"I hope the guys haven't been to much for you." She adds, jokingly.

I smiled a bit. "They've been fine."

"What about Aidyn? I know she can be a little much at time."

"She's been good. I have a younger brother and he was a little bit like her when he was her age." I said. "You and Jeff don't have kids, do you?"

Mya laughed a little. "Not yet. We've only been married for a year so we're taking things slow but we've talked about it." She looked over at me with a curious glint in her eyes. "What about you? Do you want kids one day?"

"I do One day." I said. "I have plenty of experience from taking care of my brother."

Mya and I shared a small laugh before walking around the store one more time. By the time we were checking out, I was well stocked for the remainder of the tour. We started heading back to the hotel which thankfully for is was only about five minutes away from the store because we had a lot of bags and we walking. When we made it up to our room, Avery was sitting in the bed holding Ben, while Aidyn looked out the window.

"How was shopping?" Avery asked.

"I'd say Layla's more that prepared for the rest of the tour." Mya replied.

"I'd say so too." I said. "Thanks again for taking me."

"No problem."

"What are the boys up too?" Mya asked, sitting on one of the beds.

"They just headed out to do an interview somewhere, you just missed them." Avery replied. "Then they're heading to the venue to shoot some promos for the show."

"Did they say what time they'll be back?" Mya asked.

Avery scoffed and looked over at her. "You know Duncan never gives me exact times. If anyone's gonna give anything close to an exact time, it'll be your husband."