Chapter 6: Nightmare

I ran as fast as I could. I couldn't see where I was going. The was only an omission red-tinted darkness around me. I looked down at my clothes, drenched and clinging to my body. But no rain was falling. There wasn't even any wind. There was nothing. My breaths were quick and short as I ran. I kept looking back over my shoulder but no one was following me. Why was I running, if no one was behind me? Where was I running to? Why was I going there? I don't feel scared. I don't know what I'm feeling.

Just as I turned back around, a heaving force slammed against my body. My arms were ounned behind my back and I could feel tight grips on my forearmss and wrists. I struggled to free myself but whatever was restraining me was stronger. I tried to call out for help but all the came out was silence. It was as if my voice had been ripped from my body. I shook myself violently, attempting escape again. But once again, no prevail. All I could do what ask questions. Why was this happening? Why couldn't I free myself? Where was I? I closed my eyes and cried. And called out again. Nothing changed.

My eyes shot open and I felt my breath get caught in my throat. I looked around. My vision was clearer. I was still on the bus, it's engine softly humming as we drove. Everyone was still asleep in their bunks. I rubbed my eyes and let out a tired sigh. It was just s nightmare.

I rubbed my temples. The time was 3 o'clockin the morning. I couldn't even begin to think about going back to sleep. I quietly slipped out of my bunk and crept to the front of the bus. I sat down on one of the couches and pulled my knees to my chest. I let my head rest on my knees and I gazed out the window. We were driving through plains and plains of grass and wheat. A few city light were dazzling brightly in the distance. I figured we'd probably be in the next town by late morning.

The images in my nightmare replayed over and over in my head. The red-black surroundings, the eerie silence. I couldn't remember the last time I had a nightmare. Even as a child, I didn't get many. Why was I suddenly having them again? And why did this one feel so real?

I remembered times when I was little where my mother would sing to me whenever I had bad dreams. I always found her voice beautiful and comforting. She always sang so calmly,l and gently, softly even. She would sit on my bed and hold me, then she'd lie down with me until I fell asleep again. As I got older and once our mom was no longer with us, I did the same to Adam whenever he had bad dreams. He said my voice reminded him of out mother's. He had bad dreams more frequently than I did but when he told me about them, they were always things I could easily explain. My mom was never able to explain mine.

Every couple of minutes, I turned around to make sure I hadn't woken anyone up. A part of me wished I had so they'd check on me and the other part wanted to go wake someone up so I could talk to them. But I was already a problem and I didn't want to be a bigger problem by waking someone up for what was most likely nothing. I'm enough as it is. I shouldn't be worse.

I sat alone for about another hour before I forced myself to back to my bunk and try to get some more sleep. I crept in quietly and slowly slipped back into my bunk, thankfully without waking anyone. I rolled over to where I was facing the wall, but I didn't fall askeep right away. My dream replayed and replayed and it wouldn't go away. I took some deep breaths and after a few more restless minutes, I fell asleep.

{*.*.*}

"We're here!"

Aidyn's very enthusiastic, very loud high pitch squeal woke me up afew hours later. I rolled over in my bunk just as Avery turned the lights on. My squinted as they adjusted to the brightness. We all got up and took turns getting dressed before we all met out at tbe front of the bus. We were still on the road to the arena but we were in our next stop: Eden Prairie, Minnesota.

Everything was as it was, as it should be. When we arrived at the arena, the boys started helping the crew unpack while the girls and I went to find some seats to watch. My eyelids felt heavy, and I realized how little sleep I actually got.

"Are you okay?" Avery asked me as we took our seats. "You seem uneasy."

"I'm fine." I replied. "I just had trouble sleeping last night. I guess I'm not used to sleeping in the road yet."

"Yeah, it takes some getting used too." Mya agreed.

I sighed and slouched back in my chair, just as soundcheck and rehearsal got underway.