Chapter 7: New Feelings

About halfway into soundcheck, we got lunch catered to us, so everyone took a break to eat. I didn't have a very big appetite so I just ate a little then went a sat on the edge of the stage. I could hear everyone else laughing, talking, having a fun time. But here I was, still struggling to find any ounce of joy in my situation.

"Not that hungry?"

I look up to see Jody standing over me. "Not really." I replied.

Jody smiled and sat down beside me. "Me too."

I sighed and frankly I was tired of sighing but at this pont I was starting to think it had become a habit. Jody gently nudged my leg with his and looked at me. His eyes showed the same sadness and concern that they did when we first met and every other time he looked at me. But there was still that something else. I always looked for it but I still couldn't figure out what it was.

"How are you doing?" He asked.

"You ask me that a lot." I replied.

"I'm just checking on you. Is it wrong for me to worry about a friend?"

A friend? He considered me a friend? I shrugged. "No. Thanks for checking on me. I guess I'm okay."

"I'm glad."

I turned away to hide the small smile that hard formed on my face. I didn't smile a lot since that night but the few times where I did, Jody was usually around. I turned back after composing myself.

"So, do you like your job?" I asked.

"Absolutely. I love playing music and I love these guys." Jody replied.

"It must be nice to do a job you really love." I said. "I never had a chance to do the job I really wanted to do."

"How come?"

"After my mother passed away, I pretty much became the care taker. I had to get a job to support my brother and I because whatever my dad did after he quit his forst job, he give any of that money towards support us. And at some point I couldn't juggle work, college and taking care of my brother. So I sacrificed my career and dropped out of college."

"Sounds like your brother is lucky to have you."

"We both are." I said. "Do you have any siblings?"

"I have three sisters." Jody replied. (A/N: I believe he has three)

"Older or younger?" I asked.

"Two are older, one is younger." (A/N: I don't know if this is true I just like to imagine it that way)

"I sometimes wish I had an older sibling. It would've taken a lot of pressure off me." I added. "There would've been more time for me to actually do things I wanted to do. Things I wanted to try and learn."

"Like what?"

I laughed a little. "Well, I have always wanted to learn to play guitar. My dad used to play and I hoped that he would teach me one day but then he changed."

"If you'd still like to learn, I'd be happy to teach you." Jody offered. "I have plenty of guitars for you to practice with."

I looked behind us at his rig. "Yeah, you do have a lot of guitars. They're beautiful though."

"Thanks. You know I've made most of my guitars I use." Jody said.

I look back at his rig again then back at him. "You did?"

"Yep. All by hand out of a block of wood."

"Wow." I couldn't help but be amazed. "That's impressive. You're really good at it."

"Thanks."

We ended up sitting and chatting back and forth, getting to know each other better. But eventually our lunch break was over at rehearsal had to continue.

{*.*.*}

I was waiting by Jody's side of the stange when the boys got their fifteen minute call. Now we only had about two minutes before the show would start and I could hear the crowd's excitement rising. Jody joined me a few seconds later with his guitar resting in front of him.

"Have you gotten tired of seeing our shows yet?" He asked, jokingly.

I smiled. "Not a chance."

Jody gave me one last smile before he was signaled to head out on stage. As the shows went one, I watched Michael, Duncan, and Jeff but not as long as I watched Jody. I nearly watched him the entire show. He was usually very calm and chill and it seemed that any energy and excitement he bottled up got released on stage when he performs.

He always had a smile on his face. Every now and then I could catch of glimpse of his eyes, that sparkled the more into the show he got. I would watch his hands as he played and I was always astounded at how talented he was. Since I was closer to his side, I could hear him singing a little bit louder than the crowd probably could. He had a pretty voice.

It was moments like these where I could feel my heart flutter and I smiled brighter than I had since that day. There was something about Jody. Whenever he was around me, when I watched him on stage, or even if he's just mentioned. I get a little fuzzy feeling inside.

It was a new feeling. I hadn't felt it before. Being busy with being the care taker of my house and Adam, this was a feeling I probably didn't get to experience. I'd probably get to experience a lot of things on this tour that I hadn't before.

I was actually making friends and though my feelings fluctuated often, I was making memories. I'd have storied to tell Adam. He would've loved to be here. I hope he stills okay. Because of how much our dad has changed, I'm practically am all he has except for some family members that dad cut off contact with.

I said a quick, silent pray that Adam was alright, before erasing all my worries and continued to watch the show.