Chapter 2: Rescued

I pulled my knees to my chest, pulling my black beanie down. Cars rumbled past and strangers looked down but said nothing. My clothes has started to tear, a new stain appeared everyday. I had little money now.

I didn't know what day it was. I didn't want to know. I didn't want to know how long I had stayed here, sitting and waiting for any sort of help that hadn't appeared.

By nightfall, the roads had quieted down, less people crowded the streets. The wind picked up and blew through the holes in my hoodie, causing me to shiver. I tried my best to cover as many of the holes as I could.

Just as the sun fell behind the buildings, a low rumble drew closer and came to a halt in front of me. I looked to see a large black bus. I could see my reflection in the bus's gleaming side. I looked tired, filthy, heartbroken. I lowered my head. I couldn't stand looking at myself.

The doors of the bus screeched open and was followed by the sound of a pair of footsteps.

"Hi." I heard a male ask. His voice sounded familiar. "Are you alright?"

My gaze stayed on the ground.

"What's your name?" The other, another male asked. I had heard his voice before.

My mouth stayed closed.

"Okay, I'll tell our names." The first said. "I'm Jeff and this is Jody."

I repeated their names in my head. If their names matched their voices...was it really them? I forced myself to look up. They looked just how they did on their album covers, on poster or in pictures. Two different pairs of eyes looked at me. Dark brown that shone with concern and sympathy. Bright blue that reflected saddness and...something else. I starred for a moment, searching for that something else, but ....I couldn't find it.

"I'm Layla." I whisped just loud enough for them to hear.

"How long have you been here for?" Jeff asks me. He and Jody had bent down to my level, I could look them in the eyes now.

"I don't know." I admitted. "I don't wanna know. My phone's been dead for a long while." I started shuddering, tears fell from my eyes. "I'm c-cold and tired and h-hungry."

I didn't care if I broke down in front of them. I was alone, no one had stopped to help me. My hoodie no longer kept me warm. I couldn't buy food anymore. Every night I was restless.

Suddenly, something was draped over my shoulders. I looked up through my tears and saw that Jody had taken off his jacket and wrapped it around me. He was in just a t-shirt now and I saw him shiver a bit. I watched as he tightened his jacket around me, making sure it covered every hole in my hoodie, then his eyes met mine.

His voice was gentle. "We can help you."

"We can." Jeff reassured. "Our bus is heated, we have food and a bunk you can sleep on."

I didn't hesitate. Countless people had walked by me and offered me nothing. They stopped, they offered me help. I said nothing but nodded. Jeff and Jody helped me up, picked up my backpack and lead me onto the bus. Michael and Duncan looked over at me. I could tell they were curious, more so concerned.

"Hello, what's your name?" Duncan asked, gently offering me his hand.

I slowly took it. "Layla."