Chapter twenty

Layla

What on earth is shooty. I ask Zack just that and he almost jumps up in joy from wanting to explain it.

      "Shooty is not like the best thing in the world. Oh, wait it is!"

     "Calm down Zack. Just because you invented it" Maylock rolls his eyes. I guess Zack is the one that comes up with most of the ideas and from Maylock's reactions, some are good, some are a bit wacky and some lack timing. "Haven't you had enough of Abbey whopping you?" 

     "Oh no. You know I'm good at this" he grins and Maylock shakes his head. "I'll show you how to play Layla" Zack beckons in continued excitementbut I don't move. 

     "I can't stay here" I glance at Maylock, getting my thoughts and motives back on track. "I want to leave"

     "Your going to ignore what Maylock said about you staying" Zack smirks.

     "Trust me Zack, it's not the first time" Maylock plays the same expression.

     "You can't hold me against my will." 

     "I know" Maylock mutters and looks away from me. 

     "But you're still asking me to stay here?" 

     "Yeah you can do shooty with me" Zack fist pumps the air. 

     "But then what?" I contemplate. "I can't stay here" I'm adamant of my thoughts and feelings. 

     "You're in danger" Maylock utters and finds my gaze. At his voice, Zack looks at him in a way I can't work out. He just looks bewildered, yet a little uptight and anxious. All of his joy and bundles of energy he had about shooty have been completely wiped from him. 

     "I'm in danger?" I frown. "Of what?" 

     "We have been studying the monster for three years" Maylock states as he glares at Zack and points to the archway which causes him to leave and walkthrough it. "We think that the danger is linked to it" he softens his gaze.

     "Think? That's not very sure." 

     "We know the monster has a purpose and prowls the Folklore woods daily but we are yet to find the focus of its movement" 

     "So how does that justify that I'm the one in danger? You don't have anything to go on" 

     "Okay, I'll make a bargain with you" Maylock suddenly suggests, noticing Zack still hovering near the archway. "You play shooty with Zack since he's not left!" he raises his voice and as soon as the raised decibels reach Zack, he leaves from earshot. "and I will explain more about the danger you're in afterward" 

     "Why don't you just tell me now?"    

     "No" he simply answers. "You do shooty and then we can talk" I don't have much choice in this.  "It's just down those stairs" he points to the archway. 

     "Fine" As I head down the corridor and stairs, Zack is at the bottom, pacing back and forth. He stops once he sees me. He looks cautious - worried even and I wonder why. 

     "Hey Layla, I'll be with you in a minute, I've just forgotten something" he doesn't give me time to reply as he runs up the stairs.

++++++++++++++++

Zack hasn't returned yet. As soon as he left me, I could hear raised voices of him and Maylock. Zack seemed disgruntled that Maylock made that bargain with me. He said it went against what they stood for which doesn't make any sense. Surely creating a bargain to tell me the danger I am in would protect me? Therefore, carrying out the duty of a Guardian Angel. It's all a bit weird.