Chapter Forty-Nine

Hey babes. I hope you're having a good night. I just got temporarily banned from posting on tiktok until tomorrow. Lmao I hate them most days. I mean, last time I checked, no one was naked in my videos, right? ffs.

Anyway, here's a small chapter. Should have a longer one done by Saturday if not Friday. Love you. -Rae

Daija woke up to the sunlight streaming through the curtains. She felt well-rested. It was nice to sleep knowing that her alarm was off and she didn't have to work. Even better without any nightmares.

She sat up and looked at her phone. The clock read a little after seven in the morning. Her eyes drifted to her journal that was beside her, and it was still open. Once everyone had gone home and Simon went to bed last night, she spent an hour writing. Her wrist still ached from it. Rubbing her eyes, she looked at the last page.

Many weeks ago, I said that all I wanted was more time. More time to make those flirty jokes or get ahead in our game, or even get another kiss out of it. The more I'm living in the moment, the more I know it's going to hurt when it ends.

At first I wanted more time. Now I just want him.

Daija sighed, and she picked up her pen to write underneath it. I shouldn't have gotten attached. Great.

Once she was done, she looked at her other pages that she wrote last night. Some of them were about the heroes, some about the friends she made yesterday, a couple were about Violet and Jamie, one about the tarot reading that Luca gave her, but most of them were about Simon.

She was dying to know what he was going to tell her last night in the lake, but she didn't want to put any pressure on him to tell her anything.

Her brows furrowed as she continued skimming through the pages. There were a lot of scribbles. Where she scribbled something out -- typically something that was too violent, dark, filthy or embarrassing -- she replaced it with different sentences.

Those sentences were what she should be thinking and feeling, rather than what she actually thought or felt.

Are you that scared of yourself to the point you can't even write things out? she thought to herself as her gut twisted.

She needed to get through these next two weeks in one piece. Then she needed to really get things figured out with herself. Violet and her aunt wouldn't be happy to hear that she felt like she was back at square one, like she was seventeen again.

As she stood up from the comfortable bed, she stretched before walking over to her drawer and pulling out another swimsuit. The sky blue one she didn't wear yesterday. She couldn't wait to see the sunrise on the lake.

When she was ready, she left her room with her phone and a towel in her hand. The house was silent, which told her that Simon was still sleeping in his room. She went to the living room and quietly unlocked and opened the sliding door before stepping outside.

She walked through the backyard and breathed in the morning air. After she reached the stone area where the jacuzzi was, she put her phone and towel down and stepped closer to the lake.

The water was chilly, and it felt great against her skin. She didn't swim out too far, and she spent a little while staring at the city like she did the night before. The sunrise was gorgeous out here. The sky was a perfect collage of oranges, pinks and hints of gold.

Her father would have loved this view. He promised that things would be so good in the future that he, her and her mother would have a place in Kunross with an amazing view. At the thought of him, her mood dimmed. She missed him a lot, but lately, she missed him unbearably.