I. Rumor Has It

ONE

ONE. Rumor Has It

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"NO, YOU SLUT BUCKET, I'm not wearing red on the first day back to school."

Faith Auclair stood in front of her walk-in closet, glaring down at close friend Kaitlyn Sheng-Greenberg. She was wearing her sweatpants and a large Beacon Hills hoodie, her twisted braids spilling over her shoulders. Faith's traveling artist & author mom, Daniella, was out of town for at least two weeks at her new gallery tour. So, that left Faith alone.

"Oh, come on, Faith. You know you look amazing in red,"

"Red is a Christmas color in December through February 12th. So I can't wear red until after Valentine's day, unless it's a party." Faith explained to her friend. Kait rolls her eyes. "What about yellow?"

Kait shook her head. "Too tacky," She answered honestly. Faith groaned, tossing her blouse back into the large space. "Just ask Lydia for something,"

"And then deal with the never-ending rant of I can't believe you didn't have anything to wear after Christmas," Faith dragged on. Kait shrugged, knowing her friend was right. The two girls were trying to decide what Faith would wear to school the following day. They were coming back from Christmas break, and Faith had to look perfect. She always did. It was the unspoken rule of Beacon Hills, California that Faith Auclair was the definition of perfection. Everyone knew it, and everyone accepted it.

A ring at the doorbell causes both Faith and Kait to look over at the Auclair's door in confusion. "We didn't order pizza, did we?" Kait asked, her brown hair waving over her shoulder as she turned her head.

Faith scoffed, "No, dumbass. It's probably just Lydia. Or Jackson's drunk again and wants to cheat on his hot girlfriend," Faith explained plainly. Faith walked out of her closet, tossing everything in her hands onto her large canopy bed. Kait grunted as the items piled onto her back.

The doorbell rang three more times before Faith finally swung open the front door of the Auclair home. Faith blinked for a moment, seeing a familiar face. Scott McCall, a fellow sophomore at Beacon Hills, and Faith's secret best friend stood on Faith Auclair's front steps. He clutched his side, heaving in pain.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Faith asked in confusion. Her eyes darted to his hand, which clenched his side. Faith saw the blood seeping between his fingertips. "And what the hell happened?" The girl gasped.

Scott looked up at her, leaning onto her door frame. Usually, he'd avoid Faith's house when anyone was over. She was mean, popular, bitchy, and Scott was a loser, to say the least. The two weren't made to be friends. But, after Faith and he became lab partners in Chemistry, they became close friends. They made the deal that they could be friends, as long as Scott didn't acknowledge her in public. But after being attacked in the woods, he truly didn't want to die in the middle of the forest.