VIII. When Doves Cry

EIGHT

EIGHT.                        When Doves Cry

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"I'M GLAD YOU'RE okay," Kaitlyn Greenberg said on the phone with Faith Auclair. "I wish I could come to school, but Nate infected me with pink eye,"

Faith rolls her eyes, "Nate infected a quarter of the school," She remarked, opening her locker.

"Okay, well, we have a test today and I cant even take it because my step brother tried to kill me!" Kait complained. "And I had to reschedule my rescheduled date with Boyd,"

"Did he ask you to the Winter Formal yet?"

Kaitlyn sighed. "No. I think we need to go on a real date first," She mumbled. The school bell rang, "Call me after school?"

"Don't count on it," Faith hummed. She slammed her locker shut, carrying her book as she hung up the phone. She came to a halt, looking over at a blond girl with frizzy matted hair. "Erica, right?"

The blond girl looked up in alarm, "Yeah, why?"

Faith clicked her tongue, "I saw the video," She confessed. Erica's face saddened, and she looked away. The video Faith was talking about was from Friday; Erica had a seizure in the middle of class, and she had ended up peeing herself. She couldn't control it, of course, but that didn't stop the kids from laughing. "And I wanted to say I'm sorry that everyone was so mean to you," Erica looked over in confusion, not expecting that at all. "I know I'm the Wicked Witch of the West, but I don't joke about stuff like that,"

Erica gave a closed mouth smile, "Thank you, Faith," She said quietly. Faith returned the awkward smile, before walking into the commons for the test.

Scott was standing in front of Allison's desk when Faith walked in. "Mr. McCall, please take a seat." Said Mr. Harris. Faith smiled as she walked over, wrapping her hand around the bend of Scott's arm.

"Come on, Scott," Faith said quietly as she lead the McCall away. Allison narrowed her eyes as Faith took the seat to the row next to Scott.

"You have 45 minutes to complete the test." Mr. Harris says, "25% of your grade can be earned right now simply by writing your name on the cover of the blue book. However, as happens every year, one of you will inexplicably fail to put your name on the cover, and I'll be left yet again questioning my decision to ever become a teacher." Faith rolls her eyes, looking down at her packet, "So let's get the disappointment over with. Begin."

Faith scribbled her name on the top of her paper, beginning the test pretty quickly. She answered quickly and efficiently, barely noticing Scott freaking out over every sound he heard. Every now and again, she'd glance over at Allison, before glancing back at her paper.