Chapter 3

Reyhan
I hear someone entering the house waking me up from my nap. I go down to see my mum and Inanna removing their shoes.
"Hey guys," I say making them startle.
"Whoa!" They both say in unison clenching their hearts. I laugh and follow them to the kitchen.
It's around 7.30pm when Isaac comes home. We have our dinner and I go to my room to finish my homework. My alarms beeps at 9.15pm indicating it's time to go.
I take my covered canvas and silently go out of the house making sure that everyone is in their room. I go to Arts & Sharp store which is at the corner of the street around my house.
The bell rings as I enter and get ambushed by the smell of pencils and paints. I smile when I see Mr. Jones waving at me from the corner of his shop. I hand him the new canvas and collect the money of the previous one.
"Thank you Mr. Jones," I heartily say to him. I rush back home after bidding him a goodbye.
Mr Jones's Arts & Sharp store is a tourist art store where he sells paintings to the tourists. It's a great deal to me as I sell my paintings and save the money for my college.
My mother being a nurse doesn't help much with our financial issues and I don't want to add more burden on her. She takes care of everything and never complains. I am doing this without her knowing. I can't tell her because I know she will over work herself and fall sick. I can't lose her.
I sneak back to my room and take a deep breath. It's hard leaving the house but sometimes I make up excuses of going out for a walk.
I lay on my bed and think about my life, smiling. I know that I had never imagined living my life in this manner, but I am really thankful for all the obstacles as it has made me a stronger person and a believer that I am capable of achieving anything.
I know my father would be really proud of me.
Wednesday arrives by quickly. I am putting on my ruby earrings when I hear the car horn.
I walk down and say goodbye to my family before entering Ashton's car. We go to Millie's Cinema and after that we head to Hot N Cold diner. We order a large baggie pizza and my mug of hot chocolate.
"We really need to go to the new carnival opened down town," Nat says.
"Yes, we should," I reply excitedly.
The carnival is an amusement park opened a few months ago. It's an hour drive away from Hazel Town and I have heard some great reviews about it.
We enjoy the dinner and I get dropped off at my place around 10.50pm. "How was the movie?" My mum asks as I plop myself beside her.
"Gooood," I stretch out making her laugh.
I watch my mum and notice that her dark circles are more prominent. "What's up mum? Is everything okay?" I ask her with concern.
She sighs and turns off the tv, "yes Ray, everything is fine, tight schedule at work."
I know something else is as well bothering her but I let it go and ask her to go to sleep. We exchange hugs and goodnight before going to our rooms.
It's Friday and I am making my way to the assembly. I hear the surprised looks and whispers about the sudden gathering.
"Remember I told you something is going to happen? I think it's about that." Nat whispers in my ears.
I reply a hmmm.
"Good morning kids. Hope you all are ready for the weekends," my head master jokes making the whole lot erupt in laughter.
"Well I know that you all are curious that why have I gathered you all in the assembly today. I am here to announce you that this year, our school has organized a competition." Cheers are echoed around.
"This competition will be having 5 categories. Arts, Music, Books, Sports and Fashion," he tells us. I hear the woos coming from the crowd.
He continues, "well sorry to break your excitement, but only final years are eligible to participate. This is an opportunity for them to show case their talent. Jury will be judging and announcing the winners. Those winners will be receiving scholarships in their respective fields. The final years will be given out the information booklet later. Final years, pull up your socks and start practicing. If any questions, Ms. Lily is just few steps away."
"Thank you and off to classes now," he disperses us. Nat, Ash and I make our way through the crowd still processing what happened. I cannot believe the opportunity I have been showered with. If I win, I get to go to my dream college. I am so thrilled in my own thoughts that I don't hear what Nat is saying.
"Where have you been lost?" She questions me.
"Nothing," I say and ask her to continue. I can't wait to share this news with mum.
"I was just saying that I am glad we are in final year and this competition happened today and not next year," she says in one breathe.
"I know right," I reply her enthusiastically.
"Come on , let's get going. We will discuss this after we get the booklet," I say heading towards Math lecture.
The entire hallways was filled with surprised and happy faces. It was something very new for students and Hazel Town Public School.

Zachary
I had known about this competition all along. My dad being one of the board member of the school, I eavesdropped when the entire committee were planning for it. Nobody knows that my dad is one of the board member because I have a low profile.
I was searching for her in the crowd. I finally saw her brown hair. I watched her expression after hearing the news. She wandered off in her thoughts. After a while, she had the biggest smile plastered on her face.
"So beautiful," I whispered to myself. Watching her smile like this made my day.
I walked off to my chemistry lecture and sat at the last bench. I had good grades, so it didn't matter where I sit as long as it's away from gossips and crowd.
I hear Mr. Hemmer's lecture on chemical reactions. The bell rings after an hour indicating the next lecture. I go to Economics lecture. Economics was fairly fine. I had to take it in order for business college.
Hunter and I meet in the cafeteria. We grab our trays and go out to sit at our spot under the tree. It's peaceful out here. I would normally have my lunch alone out here as Hunter sometimes sits with his friends, which I don't mind at all.
My eyes wander off to a certain blonde sitting right across me dipping her fries in the sauce. Before I could avert my eyes, she glances my way, catching me off guard by giving me her smile. I smile back before averting my gaze. I was shivering. This is the second time she smiles at me after that incident.
I reach home, change my clothes and go to the Tipsy Dipsy club. This place is my serenity. It's the only place where I get to sing. I am a back stage singer which lets me hide my identity from my father and everyone else.

Reyhan
Nat and I arrived at Tipsy Dipsy club around 8.00pm. I never preferred coming to clubs. It's my first time as Nat insisted a lot to accompany her.
We make our way to Ashton's booth and make ourselves comfortable. I order a sprite for myself and just look around the club.
I see people dancing and some even dirty dancing. Some tourists sat at the bar enjoying cheap beers.
"Ray, your sprite," Ash passes me my drink. After hearing the guys talk about football and their guy stuff, checking other girls out, I excuse myself to go to the washroom. I see Nat dancing off with a random guy as I take my seat next to a very pissed Ash.
"If you don't ask her, someone else will and you will regret it later," I whisper shout in his ears. He sheepishly smiles at me for being caught.
"Go." I push him towards the dance floor. He smiles and walks to their direction. As he grabs Nat by her waist, a slow song begins.
The voice was so beautiful . I looked around to see who was singing, but I couldn't find anyone on stage. I got lost in that song.
The song soon got over and other funky song begun. Something started to happen inside of me. I wanted to know who the singer was. I searched for him everywhere, asked few people around if anyone was aware of the singer, but no one bothered as it was just entertainment for them.
I even asked the manager, but he didn't say a word, "Sorry miss, I can't give any information out as it's against the rule of our club," other than this.
"Where did you go?" Nat asks while I sit back with a sigh.
"Washroom," I mumble back. The guy just disappeared after finishing the song. Why wouldn't he reveal himself, I thought to myself.
I hear Nat gushing on how sweetly Ash was looking at her while dancing, but I was not paying attention to her as my mind was already drifted somewhere else.
"I am going to go get myself another sprite, do you want anything?" I ask Nat while standing up.
"Nope, I am all good," she responds back and I make my way towards the bar counter. I take a sit beside a guy. I order my sprite and glanced on my right to see the guy. It was Zach Adams.
"Hey," I sweetly greet him. I would never forget this guy. He was the one who consoled me the day my papa passed away. He was at the cemetery when everyone had left. I cried on his shoulder till no tears were left. I heard him whispering soothing words while I laid still on his chest. I felt safe around him.
"Hey Reyhan," he replies back smiling shyly. He was an introvert. He thinks no one notices him at school, but I do. I have seen him hanging with Hunter always. If not him, then he prefers to be alone. I notice everything, not only him, but everything in general. It's what art has taught me. Details. They matter.
" I didn't peg you to be the kind of the person to come to clubs," I started the conversation.
He chuckles while sipping on his coke. " I am not, my cousin, Hunter, insisted me to accompany him."
"High five dude!" I don't know where the sudden urge of confidence came from when I placed my palm in front of him to clap. He was taken by surprise. I saw the change, before I couldn't retrieve my hand in embarrassment, he returned the clap back. I smiled at him cheekily.
Before I could ask more, his cousin came and they left. I bid them a goodbye receiving a small smile from Zach. I noticed something about Zach today. He never made any eye contact with me and he was definitely not a talker, or maybe I was asking him stupid questions.
"You want to call it a day?" Nat takes the seat which was occupied by Zach a few minutes ago.
"Yeah," I mumble glancing around more time to see if I am lucky enough to find that singer.