Chapter 22

Zachary
I watch everyone at school excitedly waiting for next week. Everyone is getting themselves prepared for the big competition that I can't take part in.

I asked dad one last time before he got so angry and asked me get lost from his sight. I sigh and go back to writing my journal.

"Hey man, have you heard people have been talking about you being the student who has not taken the part in the competition." Hunter says taking a seat beside me.

I sigh, close my diary and look at him. "I know, I watch people giving me weird looks when I walk through the corridor."

Things have lately not been going my way. I have made myself isolate from everything. I no longer go to cafeteria or my spot for lunch. I sit in the class only. And I hurriedly leave school in the home time.

I hate when people give me attention. It gets me anxious. I can't deal with it. I had once seen Ray coming towards me when I was walking. I hurriedly turned the corner around and entered the janitor's closet. Pathetic but I can't handle it right now.

Hunter pities me before saying he has to go for practice. I smile at him before looking out of the window.

"Hi Zach," I close my eyes at that voice.

"Ray, Hi," I say to her. She is standing there giving me her brightest smile. How can I turn myself away from her, I ask myself.

"Mind if I sit here?" she asks nodding towards the empty seat beside me. I nod and pat for her to sit.

"How are you?" she asks me.

"I am good. How have you been?" I turn myself towards her.

"Good. I haven't been seeing you around. Other than class I mean. So now I know this is your hiding spot." she says looking around.

I sigh and give her a small smile. She keeps her hand on top of mine.

"You know I heard this a few weeks ago by a bunch of girls that you are the person who is not participating. I didn't ponder on it as you know how rumours are the trendiest thing at our school.

But since now people have been speaking about it, I know you must be feeling weird and irritated about it, that's why I have been wanting to talk to you.

I won't ask you why you haven't taken part because it's your decision and I appreciate your privacy, all I wanted to know is how have you been doing." She blows me away with her confession.

I am not surprised when she says she isn't here to be a nosy bitch but the way she asks me just blows me away and makes me confess half of the truth to her.

"I wanted to talk part in the competition Ray, but I can't because my future is already planned by my father," I look in her eyes.

She intertwines our fingers together and gives my hand a squeeze. "I can understand Zach, you don't have to tell. But know that I am always here whenever you need me."

"I know Ray, I really appreciate you always being there for me in my bad times. You are an angel to me," I tell her making her blush.

"So, tell me, are you prepared for the competition?" I ask her and change the topic.

She nods. "I am ready but I am nervous as well," she tells me.

"You will do great Ray. I believe in you," I say giving her hand a squeeze. She gives me her warm smile before saying a small thank you.

"Will you be there at the competition?" she asks me with her hazel eyes.

"I don't know Ray, it seems weird to be there when you haven't taken part," I say shrugging.