1. Dove And Her Transfer To Detroit

DOVE INHALES DEEPLY BEFORE PUSHING THE DOOR OF THE DETROIT POLICE STATION

DOVE INHALES DEEPLY BEFORE PUSHING THE DOOR OF THE DETROIT POLICE STATION. She puts a big smile on her face and enters, her brown ponytail swaying to the rhythm of her steps, her brown eyes wrinkled by her smile that illuminates her round face.

She had spent whole days worrying. Would her body resist this new rhythm? Sleeping through the day was out of the question now, like she used to. The good thing about Gotham was that the cops were most often needed at night, so she could sleep during the day, as usual. Besides, Batman was also a great thing.

Okay, yes, Dove probably shouldn't idolize him. He is still 'stealing' police work. But on the other hand, he takes on individuals that the police cannot control, no matter how much the officers boasts of the opposite. And he did save her life, once. She owes him, somehow. Not sure how she'll repay him, though.

Dove looks at the name written on her file. The name of her future partner; Dick Grayson. She grimaces. Not only did it remind her of something, but the first name didn't seem to bode well. She hopes it's the shortened version of Richard. She shakes her head and regains her pleasant face. Prejudice is useless.

She arrives at an office on which her name was marked, welcomed by many other rather kind officers. She isn't going to lie, it's a big difference with Gotham PD.

She sets up her things in a hurry, glancing at the desk in front of her. 'Grayson' is written on the plate. It might as well have been a free office, with how impersonal it is. Either he is a clean freak, or he has no contact with the outside world.

She chastises herself inwardly. No prejudice.

Dove recognizes Dick entering, thanks to the photo in the file, which she kept looking at with apprehension these last days. She got along very well with her former partner, and it made investigations much easier. She wants to recreate that connection at all costs. For her, the chemistry between two partners is the key to success. And now that the meeting is imminent, she doesn't know whether to hope or be afraid.

He reaches her, and she almost throws herself at him.

"Detective Grayson?" she says in a voice she hopes is calm. "Dove Tennant, from Gotham."

Dick's thick eyebrows turn into a frown, and shakes her hand with a mixture of passivity and suspicion. Well, at least, that's what Dove saw in it.

"I am your new partner," Dove adds, trying to get a reaction from him.

He does not flinch, keeping his indecipherable black gaze on her. He barely nods.

"Right," he says, in a deep voice. "The captain mentioned."

Dove gives him a bright smile and crosses her arms, not knowing where to put herself. She feels the situation drifting towards an outcome that she is not going to like.

"Nice to meet you," she says.

"I read your file," he replies, without any courtesy. "You seem to know what you're doing." Dove smiles, all teeth. Detective was her dream job and hearing that she is good at it is one of the best compliments you could give her. "You keep doing your thing, I'll keep doing my thing, we'll be good."