2. Dove And Robin

PEOPLE OFTEN TOLD DOVE THAT FOR A COP, FOLLOWING HER INSTINCT WOULD BRING NOTHING GOOD

PEOPLE OFTEN TOLD DOVE THAT FOR A COP, FOLLOWING HER INSTINCT WOULD BRING NOTHING GOOD. She obviously doesn't agree. Case in point; she just guessed the identity of Robin by following a little feeling and a detective with the kindness of an oyster.

She mutters a swear word, still shocked by her discovery. But the more she thinks about it, the more it makes sense. Robin had appeared some time after the Graysons died. Dove is, like, fifty percent sure that if she does any research, with this discovery, she would eventually find out who Batman is. But maybe she overestimates herself a little. She's not sure she wants to know either.

First, she has to confront Dick, to be sure he is Robin. Well, she already is, but verifying the evidence fifty-seven times was a professional deformation. Besides, she really wants to brag a little bit. Also, it's not as if she is going to be an obstacle or an inconvenience. She has no one to tell, and even if she did, she wouldn't have said anything.

She's from Gotham, and the only thing she can do is thank him. And she said so herself – Batman and him saved her, one time.

Dove approaches Dick's car, looking around her. She tests the handle and chuckles to herself. In his haste, he left it open. If she goes in, it's not really a break-in. Well, technically, it is, but there's no break-in. Oh, screw it. She's a cop, and she has a suspect.

She opens the door and sits shotgun, looking around for clues. First she notices the suitcase behind her, and tries to open it. Without much success, there's a lock and the technology that opens it confuses her. Sighing, she opens the glove box.

She frowns when she pulls out a police file. She opens it, discovering a case of violence against a minor, where the accused had been acquitted. She goes through the evidence. Everything was against him, and he probably had to pay a lot of money to be acquitted. And, given his profile, that kind of money probably came from drug trafficking.

Dove grimaces. They are doing their best to stop criminals, but the justice system is throwing huge ass monkey wrenches at them. That is, when they're not doing it to themselves.

The driver's side door opens, startling Dove as Dick enters the car, jumping back in turn when he sees the detective. She grins, almost madly so. He came back in civilian clothes, but he has his costume in his hands. He follows the young woman's gaze and raises his head towards her.

"I can explain."

Dove raises an eyebrow, squinting her eyes and pointing to the costume in his hand. "You're seriously gonna deny when you have the costume in your hands?"

"I like to dress up."

"That's almost as embarrassing as lying to my face."

He sighs, takes the suitcase, and puts it in, under Dove's expert gaze. "Did you follow me from Gotham?"

"What? No."

"Then how did you know where to look?"

Her smile widens. "Other than the fact that I saw you come out of your car in your costume? You were never a detective in Gotham, and I know that, because I was. So I did some research, but every document said you were a detective there. And besides, you're still a little known there, if you wanted to get into whatever police station you wanted, you could have, with Bruce Wayne as a father. But you didn't."

He holds her gaze. "I could have worked the night shift."

Dove loses her smile a little before shaking her head. "All the detectives work the night shift these days. I worked the night shift, so you basically just sold yourself out there. You could have been in the day shift, but your record would not have been that good, not in Gotham. Well, your fake record. At first I thought you were a corrupt cop. It would have still been more logical than Robin, but I like being proven wrong if it means unveiling one of the biggest mysteries ever. Actually, I had a feeling."

Dick chuckles. "You followed me here on a hunch?"

Dove frowns, and crosses her arms on her chest. "Excuse me, is the detective who doesn't lock his car saying something? Also, I was right. Case in point. You're fucking Robin."

Dick throws his head back, refleecting for a moment. He had to run into the only Gotham detective who did her job extremely well. And who had pretty good instincts. And who is really, really... ah, whatever.