18. Dove And Donna

WHEN DOVE OPENS HER EYES, DICK IS GONE

WHEN DOVE OPENS HER EYES, DICK IS GONE. It's still morning, and she can hear the clicking of forks from the kitchen. They must be having breakfast. Dove doesn't have the strength to join them.

She had nightmares. She still tastes the bitter fear on her tongue. Her ex had come back into her dreams. He hadn't been there for a long time. At least, Dick wasn't there, at all.

She's not sure if her nightmares are nightmares or memories. Actual memories, not fake ones.

From what she can tell from her years in college – she hopes those are real – she knows it's possible to forget things. A trauma response. New memories? That's on a whole new level.

Which leads to the question that's been haunting her; did she make herself new memories with her powers before locking them up, or was this just a psychological problem, like any other, nothing out of the ordinary? Dove doesn't know.

That's why she's not saying anything to the others, or Dick. She wants to figure it out first before telling anyone. No need to get them all worried over nothing.

The buzzing also didn't help. It's like a bad feeling that doesn't want to go away. It's there, waiting. As if something is coming. But it's stupid, Dove's never had bad feelings for things so far in the future. Usually, it's seconds or minutes before it happens, tops.

It has to do something with whatever happened to her... hunches. Dove may try to be as rational as she can, this is definitely not normal. She knows supernatural, she's hanging out with a teen-witch, a green tiger and a living flame thrower.

Another very supernatural thing was Dick's capacity of being completely cut off from any feelings, and then being the most vulnerable with her. Which is something she remarked a few days ago now, and doesn't fail to make her weak in the knees.

It's why she promised herself to help him find who he is. To stay with him. She hopes that he got used to the idea of Dove following him around wherever he goes.

Her stomach churns as her thoughts drift to Dick. She frowns. That's a hunch, an old one, but it feels different. It's not about... danger, or anything. It just feels like it's pushing her.

Pushing her to pack her bags and leave. She doesn't know why or where this comes from, but if Dove has to say one thing about her impulse, it's that she always follows it.

She stands up, and the absence of clicking forks and conversation is proof enough for her.

She gets dressed quickly, throwing some clothes in a bag. She puts it around her shoulder, and runs downstairs.

She kisses the top of Rachel's head as she walks in, then Gar's. She pats Kory's shoulders, and rushes back to Dick, climbing into the van.

She manages to catch up with him, and climbs in the passenger's seat, throwing her bag in the back. Dick jumps when he sees her.