27. Dove And The Former Titans

DOVE WAKES UP IN THE INFIRMARY OF THE TOWER, AND SWEARS

DOVE WAKES UP IN THE INFIRMARY OF THE TOWER, AND SWEARS. Then, the memories of what happened last night come back to her, and she raises her hand to her head, grimacing. The movement makes her realize that she's wearing Dick's shirt. Her clothes must have been drenched in blood. Her heart misses beat.

Dove slips her legs out of the hospital bed, barefoot padding through the Tower. She tucks Dick's blue shirt in her jeans, and goes to find a bathroom.

She washes her face, before looking at herself in the mirror. She's pale, despite her olive skin tone, and her big brown eyes are looking back at a ghost. She takes the bandage away from her forehead, where she knocked herself out. It's already healed. She feels sick. What they did to her in the Manor is beginning to show. Not entirely human anymore, not Goddess enough for them.

Her full lips flatten in a line as she remembers Richard. He had a daughter, and a wife. Because of whoever last night's guy was, they were alone. This just got personal.

She gets out of the room before she starts crying, wandering aimlessly around the tower, looking for Dick or one of the kids. Seeing them nowhere, she takes the elevator down to the training room, and walks to the computer room.

She notices Gar's green hair from afar, and gets closer until she's leaning against the doorframe. No one saw her.

"So," Rachel says. "Doctor Light came after Dove, and that's Rose's father?"

Dove doesn't know who Doctor Light is, just that she's coming for him. She stares at the screen in front of her, revealing pictures of the girl they brought in the night before, next to Slade Wilson's pictures. Her blood runs called.

Deathstroke. She's heard about him. Through Phobos, at that. He had a morbid obsession with the guy.

"Yep," Jason confirms. "The one and only Deathstroke."

Rachel frowns. "Is that somebody you know?"

Dick turns to answer Rachel, and catches a glimpse of Dove from the corner of his eyes, and faces her. He blinks when he realizes she's still wearing his shirt, her brown hair, longer than he remembers them, floating down her back, to her waist.

"Hi," she simply says.

The kids immediately turn to her. Rachel is the first one to reach Dove, hugging her middle. Gar puts his arms around her shoulders, and her eyes widened – he can't have gotten that tall in just three months.

She juts her chin at Jason. "Sup." He waves at her, awkward.

Rachel and Gar let go of Dove, who smiles at them reassuringly.

"Are you okay?" Rachel inquires. "Dick said you jumped out of a window."

Gar pokes her forehead, and she chuckles. "You don't even have a scar."

"You know, Greek Goddess and all. I learned a thing or two." Or was forced to become a full blown Goddess against my will, that's more like it. She can survive a fall like that, punch through concrete and yet... She's still dying.