11. Dove And The Half-Assed Team

DOVE AND GAR HAD COMMON GROUND

DOVE AND GAR HAD COMMON GROUND. They both hated Dick for trading his car for a minivan.

"I still can't believe you traded in the Porsche for a minivan," the teenager groans.

Dove sighs and leans into the headrest, Kory smiling a little. "We can all fit in without being on top of each other. I like the minivan."

The detective rolls her eyes and props her feet up on the glovebox. Dick taps her knee and she glares at him, not moving her legs. She likes the teasing, and not jumping 10 feet up when  he touches her.

"We're not actually staying here, are we?"

'Here' being a ratty motel's deserted parking lot. Yay.

"You know, there's probably a nicer place down the road," Kory adds.

"Sure, and then the psychos after us can know where we are," Dove says, turning to face her. "If you want it so bad, you can go."

Kory has a tight-lipped smile. "Oh, Dove. Nobody likes empty promises."

"I swear I'm gonna–"

"Dove."

She turns to Rachel, before rolling her eyes and settling back into her seat. Dick smirks.

"Nicer places draw attention."

"Nicer places are good for sleep," Dove ironises. Kory thinks she only pretended to like the plan to get at her. She's right.

Dick sighs, and points at the entrance. "One road in. Same road out. Only one point of access we have to watch. And also... it's quiet. Trouble comes our way, we should hear it first." His eyes meet Dove's. "And who said anything about sleeping?"

Time stands still as he gets out of the car. Rachel looks over at Gar, then Kory, then Dove, whose mouth is agape and cheeks are red.

DICK MANAGED TO GET THEM FOUR ROOMS. They're five. He won't leave Kory alone with Rachel, or Gar. Dove won't leave Rachel alone with Gar – she is not having the birds and the bees talk right now – and Dick had to keep his alter ego a secret. So... Dove has to choose between sleeping with Rachel, or sleeping with Dick. Rachel doesn't seem happy with her choice.

As the woman lays with her feet at the pillows on Rachel's bed, and her head hanging from the foot, Rachel is laying the other way.

"Dove, you're like, my favorite adult right now," she starts, "but you're a fuck–"

"Language!"

Gar, sitting on the couch, snorts. Dove takes another slice of pizza.

"Rachel is right. I mean, uh, I don't know how adults work but uh... I think I lost my point."

Dove sits up and looks at Rachel before chuckling.

"All right, guys," Dick says, bursting into the room with Kory. "Listen up. We're all in one piece, more or less. We need to figure out where we stand and determine what's mission critical."