Ulterior Motives

Darkness fell quickly on the town, and Todoroki found himself gazing thoughtfully out of the inn's upper floor window. He had never experienced night outside of the castle before, and had taken it upon himself to absorb the experience.

Most of the native nocturnal animals in the area had woken and began venturing out in search of food. Other than them, and the generous spread of clouds slowly rolling across the darkened sky, there were no signs of life in the plaza and everything was still.

A sudden knock on the door took him out of his trance.

"Yes?" he answered.

Midoriya opened the door. "Sorry, am I interrupting?"

"No, come in."

The freckled farm boy came further in, shutting the door behind him before taking a seat in the armchair. Todoroki turned from the window to address Midoriya properly.

"I'm sure you're wondering about the conversation from earlier."

"You're right, I am." Midoriya pressed his fingers together nervously. "You never mentioned anything about actual dragons being spotted in the area. And they're kidnapping civilians? My farm is probably still in danger, heck, this entire town is probably at great risk." It was clear that this entire revelation had been causing Midoriya distress, so Todoroki tried his best to put his worries at bay.

"We're taking the appropriate measures."

"What are the-"

"War," Todoroki said flatly.

"W-war?" Midoriya choked. "War doesn't solve anything!"

"My father would disagree. He's already out preparing for it." Todoroki didn't mind telling Midoriya all of this classified info. He was easy to confide in, and he doubted that a farmer would have a reason to use the information against him.

"What about the girl who was taken? I understand that Lord Endeavor isn't a guy who sees value in the few, but surely her disappearance would eventually put the town into panic mode."

"We plan to save her, too. In fact, w-"

"Kacchan!"

"Who?"

"Bakugou!"

"Yes, we hired Bakugou the bounty hunter to rescue--"

"No, Bakugou is outside right now."

Todoroki turned back towards the window, and sure enough, the blond huntsman was in the plaza, along with another figure. He recognized them as one of the people from the bar from earlier.

Since the night was still, he was able to make out most of the conversation.

"Idiot..." Bakugou's voice. "Dragons don't always eat the things they take. They're intelligent creatures, they're capable of having goals for themselves and being just as skilled and cunning as humans."

"Okay, if she's not already lizard lunch, what do you think its intentions are with her?"

"Lord Endeavor isn't the type to give a shit about others, unless there's something in it for him. I've got a feeling there's an ulterior motive at play here regarding her. No way he'd send me after her without a good reason." He laughs lowly before adding, "And that damn dragon? It likely knows the reason."

"Ah, so there's something about her that would make a dragon want to kidnap her? Like some kind of power play?"

"Exactly."

"You probably could have gotten paid more if brought this up, y'know. Imagine how much more dangerous and risky the mission will be?"