New Motive

A/n: yay continuation errors ;>

********

Back in the cave, you began plotting out your lesson plans, making a mental list of what you'd need for them. Kirishima permitted you to use whatever was in the cave, so you searched the gold pile for things you hadn't organized, putting stuff that was on your list to the side.

You were dead serious about teaching him, mainly because you felt somewhat at fault for his people dying at the hands of your people. Granted, you weren't alive when it happened, but as a human, you couldn't help but feel a little guilty.

Although he was extremely possessive and low key psycho, he was a nice guy. You wanted to help him.

Of course, that didn't mean that you weren't ready and willing to do anything it took to escape. He had kidnapped you after all, and that was unforgivable.

As you made your way around to the back of the gold pile, you spotted the silver of the jeweled sword you had hidden, apparently not very well. Your first escape plan came back to mind, and you glanced along the wall until you found the hole.

The hole you had found in the back of the cave earlier was still there, and it was your best option, but you still had only a vague idea of what was on the other side of the mountain.

Even if you managed to get it all mapped out, how would you get down? How far could you run before he caught up? Could you keep him from chasing you? Would you have to go to plan Z and...y'know...kill him?

"What do you have there?" Kirishima interrupted your thoughts.

You glanced at your hands, where you were gripping the jeweled sword you had retrieved from the coins. You had been mindlessly tracing the blade, leaving an indent your finger that was starting to bleed.

"It's, uh, pretty." You feigned like you were admiring its beauty and not subconsciously contemplating his death.

"Yeah, pretty dangerous. Hand it over."

You gave him the sword, rather reluctantly. He leaned it against his leg and demanded your finger, which you held out to him. He wrapped it in a small piece of cloth while you watched with a blank expression.

"There." He read your face. "Everything alright?"

"I...I haven't come across any books yet." Nice save. "I need them if I'm going to teach you properly."

"Oh, is that all?" He picked the sword back up and cleaned it. "That's no problem. I know a place with books." He pointed to the cave entrance with it. "It's in the forest, not too far from here. I can take you there."

A place? Like a library, or a book store of some kind? Possibly with people? Actual people, who could help you escape your current situation as a captive? Where maybe even a stray hero would be passing through, and where you could be gone before Kirishima could blink?

"But only after your injury heals," he added, gesturing to your leg.

You should have expected that much at least.

You reached down to unwrap the bandage from around your shin. It didn't look too bad, but it would certainly take a while longer to heal completely. You wrapped it back up carefully.

If you were too eager about getting to this mysterious library or whatever, then Kirishima would catch on and you'd never get your chance. But you had to speed up your trip there somehow.

"That'll take too long," you said. "If I don't have the right materials, we won't be able to get anything done."

Kirishima rummaged around in the gold pile until he found a sheath, and put it on the sword. "Are you sure you can't make do with what's here, at least for now?"

You shook your head. You probably could, but he didn't need to know that.

"Well, I can't say it's worth the risk. Taking you that far into the forest in your current state would endanger you. I can't have that, can I?"

"I can take care of myself, hurt leg and all. I don't need you playing bodyguard, or pretending you actually care about me and my wellbeing."

"Pretending?" He put the sword down. "But I do care about you."

"Only because you think I belong to you, which I don't!"

This caused Kirishima to burst into laughter which only frustrated you more.

When his laughter died down, he spoke in a serious tone, "Listen, (Y/n), you're obviously accident-prone--"

"I am not!"

"You are, and it's okay, but I like to take good care of my things, and you're not making it easy."

The implication that you were once again an object brought you to your senses. "Oh, we're not having this conversation again. I am not an object, and I have the right to injure every part of my body whether you like it or not."

"Oh," he said flatly. You furrowed your eyebrows at the half breed. That came out wrong but you were anticipating more of a retort.

Instead, you watched as he took a step forward. You took a step back. He took another step forward, close enough for you to hear that his breathing had become uneasy. You took several steps back, eyeing him cautiously until you felt the cave wall press against you. What was his problem? He closed the distance and placed an arm against the wall. You were effectively cornered.

"That would be a problem, (Y/n)." You froze as he reached his other hand toward your face and brushed a strand of your hair behind your ear. "Nobody likes a broken toy."

You felt your blood chill.

Fight, or flight?

Instinctively, you punched his jaw, only to bite back tears as pain shot up your arm. What the actual hell, why did it feel like you had punched a freaking rock?

He gave you an unamused look before taking your hand and examining it.

"Like it or not, you are an extremely valuable part of my hoard. If you continue to damage yourself, I'll make you compensate for it. Is that clear?"

You stared at him like he had lost his rabid ass mind. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?!"

You went to punch him again, but he grabbed your fist as you threw it. Jesus, he was strong. Earlier you kinda figured you could take him in this form but now you knew you'd likely end up having to scrape your body off the pavement. Cause of death: beaten by a sentient boulder.

It seemed that for the first time since you had been there, you were actually intimidated by Kirishima. You turned your head away from him, opting to look anywhere but in his eyes. This was a darker side of him, and you refused to acknowledge it.

He grabbed your chin and tilted it up, forcing you to look at him anyway. "Do as you're told and you'll never have to find out."

He released you, once again back to his bubbly self. "Glad we could have this talk. Are you hungry? I sure am."

You had to get out of there.