Chapter Two ▪︎ Every Day Is The Same

TW: Abuse, losing appetite, talk of feeling sick when looking at food

~~~

Regulus felt alone and he was alone. He had people to talk to. But he was alone. Alone in the house. He barely left his room because every little corner had a memory of being hurt or a memory with Sirius in.

Every day, he would stay in bed until he found the motivation to get out which was mostly "Hogwarts soon." He'd shower, put some different clothes on and read. He ate one meal a day, he was slowly losing his appetite.

The thing that really bothered Regulus was Walburga's lack of care. She never bothered to ask Regulus if he wanted something to eat. Kreacher was normally the one bringing him food, worrying that his mistress would get mad at Kreacher for not feeding him properly.

Regulus sat at his desk now, staring out of the window, wondering what Sirius was doing now. It had been a year but Regulus missed them. He missed them a lot. It was so boring in the house without the brightness of Sirius. Sirius made anything shine, including the dull house they grew up in.

Regulus was hugging himself, hoping to feel less lonely. Walburga opened the door, slamming it against the wall. Regulus jumped, breathing heavily. He looked back at his mother who was fuming. He stood up from his desk chair, hoping to not piss her off more.

"You made plans without taking to me first? I just got a letter from Severus' mother!" Walburga yelled. Regulus breathed and nodded.

"Sorry, mother, I was going to talk to you about it. I just forgot." Regulus breathed. He really couldn't be bothered at the moment. But Walburga wanted to fight.

Walburga grabbed Regulus' jaw, pushing him into the wall nearest. Regulus didnt struggle, he really couldn't be bothered. "Then remember! You can go but if you even think to do anything, Snape will tell his mother. Okay? Understand me, boy?"

Regulus nodded, frustration building up in his gut. There something about that sentence that just really pissed him off. Boy. His mind was telling him, he pushed the thoughts away and pushed his mother away. Walburga fumed.

Regulus had never stood up to Walburga. Not like Sirius did. Regulus let it happen. And the minute Regulus pushed her back, he regretted it. Walburga sucked her cheeks in. She pulled her wand from her sleeve, jabbing his neck with it.

"You- You are becoming more and more like that blood traitor everyday. I will not condone this behavior." Walburga almost looked scared. Not of Regulus, but of the little feeling that Regulus could leave and the Black family would end.

"Then don't. Why do you even care? It's not like you notice that I exist until I do something wrong. And don't be so scared, the Black family won't end, I'm sure Sirius will love to marry his boyfriend. Maybe adopt with him."

Regulus didn't know where he had found the courage to speak up. But Walburga was cowering. She hissed at him, pulling her wand away from his neck. Walburga threw a look at him and left the room.

He lay his back straight against the wall, sliding down it, tears falling from his eyes. He buried his face in his hands, muffling the sobs. God, he wished he left that night Sirius had offered him to. He wished that Sirius would come back and refuse no for an answer and take him. He just wanted to be out of this damn house.

His phone started buzzing on his nightstand but he ignored it and continued to cry. Maybe he would leave when he went out with his friends. He could maybe go with Dorcas back to the Potter's or go with Pandora. But he couldn't.

Regulus felt like his lungs had given up on him, soon coughing and gasping from breath. He grabbed at his throat, tears pouring down his face.

After he had calmed, his head lay against his desk chair, eyes drooping. Kreacher opened his door. Regulus didnt move, he couldn't be bothered. Kreacher held a tray of food, he placed it on the floor next to Regulus. The house elf watched Regulus for a bit before leaving. His phone began to buzz again, he shut his eyes tightly.