Chapter Five ▪︎ Feeling Out of Place

Euphemia had pulled Regulus to the side after he had came in with Sirius. Sirius and Regulus were a little awkward but it was good to know that they were on good terms. It was very quiet when he came in but Euphemia greeted him cheerily and asked to talk to him alone. Regulus didnt really have a choice, well, he felt like he didn't.

"I just wanted to talk to you a little. Did she do anything to you? Anything that hurts? Or did she find out that you were leaving? That bruise on your face!" Euphemia had just noticed the fading bruise from Walburga's grip. She ran her finger over it and looked at Regulus in what seemed to be disappointment.

"I'm so sorry. I should've gotten to you when Sirius left. No one deserves any of the sort you and Sirius have been through. You're welcome here just as much as Sirius is. You became part of the family when Sirius did."

It wasn't disappointment, it was sadness. Euphemia just wanted to protect him from Walburga. Regulus felt warm, he had never experienced care like that from an adult. And if felt like the small hole he didn't know was empty had been filled.

"I'm always here to talk if you need to, okay?" Euphemia whispered. Regulus nodded, he had nothing to say. Euphemia wrapped her arms around him and pulled him close.

Soon, Regulus was sitting on the porch step with Barty, waiting for Dorcas. Barty was playing around on his phone while Regulus was staring at the grass. He looked over at Barty.

"Do you ever question who you are?" Regulus asked. He didn't really know why he was asking Barty. He hoped Barty would understand, but deep down, he knew Barty didn't. But Barty was always there for him so he'd try to understand.

Barty looked up with a raised eyebrow. "I used to. It never felt right, I always forced myself to like things other boys my age did. Not now though, why?"

Regulus shrugged and looked back at the grass. "I just don't feel like my reflection sometimes. Most of the time. I want to be someone else. I like how I look but I hate that it's me."

Barty frowned. He looked around and moved closer to Regulus. He wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "Just because I don't feel the same doesn't mean your feelings are any less valid. I'm sorry about not feeling like what you look like, I promise it only gets better once it gets worse. Okay?"

Barty kissed Regulus' temple. Regulus turned away, pale face suddenly becoming very warm with embarrassment. Barty was kind enough to not question it.

Dorcas opened the front door and stomped down the steps to pull the other two from eachother. She smiled widely and continued walking down the path. Barty got up and held out a hand for Regulus to take. Regulus took it, cheeks still warm.

"Pandora said she's at the bus stop. We don't want to be late for her, do we?" Dorcad smiled, widely. "Also, we need to get you clothes for here. Wouldn't want you wearing them dull clothes."

They continued down the path, Dorcas infront of the two. Regulus was thinking about what Barty had said. He knew that Barty wasn't straight, neither was he but it didn't feel the same than when he was questioning his sexuality. It felt like a disconnection to something. He wasn't quite sure.

They made it to the bus stop where Pandora was. She was wearing a light pink long dress that was very flowy. Dorcas embraced her in her arms.

"Hi, glad you made it safe." Pandora smiled at Regulus. Regulus shrugged. Now that he thought about it, he was worried incase Walburga caught on and came to take him. Euphemia or Fleamont wouldn't be around.

"Come on, what shop first?" Barty asked, looking down the long rows of shops.

"How about we get a coffee and then walk around?" Dorcas suggested. They agreed and started following Dorcas to wherever the coffee shop is. Regulus was walking a bit behind his friends.

Barty hung back a bit too. "I know you're worried but Euphemia and Fleamont are here. No doubt keeping an eye on this place. Come on, have a bit of fun without worrying."

Regulus shrugged and looked at the floor. "Can't help but worry about her finding me and not only hurting me but hurting the others too. Sirius would kill me."

"But it wouldn't be your fault. You can't blame yourself if it does happen." Barty cheered him up slightly. Regulus shrugged and looked up a bit.

They got to the coffee shop, Dorcas found a table and told Barty her order. Regulus and Pandora sat down too, Regulus facing the other two. Barty went to order for them.

"How's your summer been apart from the devil that you call your mother?" Pandora asked Regulus. Regulus shrugged.

"Just like every other summer with her. I've been ignoring her and that." Regulus told her. He was looking at the table, he had already told them the same thing. They knew he wasn't telling them something.

Dorcas sighed and watched Barty carry over the drinks. He put the drinks in the middle of the table  letting his freidns get them theirselves. Regulus took his and Barty took the seat next to him.

"Not hungry?" Bartt asked, referring to how the other three got a cake or a cookie or a scone. Regulus shook his head and took a sip of the burning hot coffee, not even flinching. Barty frowned but looked back to the other two.

"How about we go to a bookshop first? I need a few more reads, I'm sick of re-reading my favourite books, I need new favourite ones." Pandora suggested. Barty shrugged and agreed  knowing he'd not get anything. Dorcas and Regulus agreed too.