Chapter 4 - Hold Onto the Memories

--------------------------------

Elena was no longer screaming, and she was staring at her best friend's body lying on the bed. "No," she breathed out as she backed out of the room.

"Elena?!" she jumped and turned to see Jason running inside the house, holding a small bouquet of flowers. "What happened? Are you okay?" Jason stopped next to Elena and looked to where she was staring at with teary eyes. He stared at Dawn's body in shock.

"Dawn? I heard yelling," Miss Lefebvre said and entered the room. She looked at Elena and Jason, and saw Dawn's body in bed. "Sweet Lord in heaven. No." Miss Lefebvre made the Sign of the Cross on herself before she walked to Dawn's bed and looked at the body.

Jason wrapped his arm around Elena to comfort her. Then Miss Lefebvre turned to Jason angrily, "What did you do?"

Jason frowned, "Me?"

"I found her, Miss Lefebvre," Elena spoke, clearing her eyes from her tears, "He just got here."

Miss Lefebvre shook her head as she glared at Jason, "I saw you last night, Jason Stackhouse. I heard y'all fightin', then she took a shot at you, and you ran off. And now she's dead."

"What?" Elena asked quietly and looked at Jason, "Jason?"

"Yeah," he said, "We had a fight. But I came here to apologize."

He held up the bouquet of flowers, and Elena frowned again, "She fired a gun at you, and you come back to apologize?"

Jason stared at her, "Elli, I didn't do this. You gotta believe me."

Elena opened her mouth but Miss Lefebvre stepped in, "Well, I'm calling the police!"

The woman walked out and Jason glared after her, "Well, call 'em!" He threw the bouquet across the room, "I had nothing to do with this." He left the room and Elena was left alone with her friend's body.

Elena looked back at Dawn, sniffing as she walked closer. She took the blanket and covered her face. 

--------------------------------

It didn't take long for a crowd to gather outside Dawn's apartment. The police were also there, outside and inside the house. Elena and Jason were sitting at the living room. Sheriff Bud Dearborne was speaking to Elena while Detective Andy Bellefleur was speaking to Miss Lefebvre.

Elena was facing away from the bedroom while Bud spoke to her, "Now, I know you've been through a lot. And you're scared. But I need you to try and remember when you got here. Was the door open? Or just unlocked?"

"Uh... it was unlocked," Elena said. Bud wrote it down and Elena started to hear the thoughts of others in the apartment.

It pisses me off the way she keeps callin' me 'Andy'. Everyone calls Bud 'sheriff'. Why can't they call me 'detective', damn it? When am I gonna get some respect around here?