Chapter 1

Chapter 1

His stare is anything but intimidating. Maybe its the mustache, or the fact that he is sleeping with every employee that works in his diner. Except for me, that is. Though I don't really have a choice in that matter. The fact is, he is not interested in me at all, not like I care. I wouldn't entertain that fantasy even if he asked me to. But that didn't change the fact that I am the only woman that works for him who he doesn't want to sleep with.

Because of that, I miss out on all of the benefits. I am the one that works the night shifts, does a majority of the grunt work around here, while the rest of the girls can fuck around and do whatever they please.

Though the perks would be nice, I refuse to throw myself at Paul Flores. Maybe if he lost the mustache... No, not even then. And, anyway, most of the time, he is the one pursuing the girls. Flirting with them during their shift then taking them back to his place to do who the hell knows. And the next day they come back to work with a new handbag or a drastic increase in pay.

This job sucks.

The hours are long. The pay is shitty. And the customers, well they are a whole other story. But I need this job. I need this job at the hole-in-the-wall diner that gives me blisters on my feet and grease in my hair. I need this job more than anything. So, if I have to smile at the boss, and play stupid like I don't know he is screwing every girl in here, I will.

Just then, Paul shoots me a small grin under the dark brown fur on his upper lips. That is the first time he's looked in my direction all week. Should I be flattered by this act? Confused by the entire situation, I look down at the bar in front of me. Wiping it vigorously with my yellow cloth.

"Excuse me!" A man scoffs. I lift my eyes and he sits at the opposite end of the counter. His coffee mug is held high in the air while he taps it with his finger. "Refill!" He demands.

I lower my gaze, rolling my eyes at his request. I turn on my heel and one of my coworkers is sitting behind me on a stool. In the same position she has been in for the past five hours. A magazine held in her hands, resting on her crossed legs, while she gnaws on a piece of bright pink gum, which has surely lost its flavor by now.

"Do you mind helping me out, Dana?"

She glares up at me, like the simple act was exhausting and something she just couldn't muster the energy for.

She lets out a loud sigh, slapping her magazine closed. "Can't you see I'm a little busy here, Sloane?"

"Actually no," I scoff crossing my arms over my chest.

She blows a bright pink bubble and as the chime on the door rings around us, it pops. She pulls the gum back into her mouth with her tongue and then stretches it out with her finger. Twirling it around and around before placing it back in her mouth.

My stomach churns at the sight. I turn around to see a man sit at a table in my section. Of course. As if I didn't have enough work to do already.

"Can you please just pick up my table?"

"Can't I'm getting that man a refill," she jumps off her stool and grabs the coffee pot.

I let out a sigh. My head is spinning and foggy, probably from lack of sleep and long hours with no break. There has to be some kind of law about this. I work a ten-hour shift with no break. There definitely has to be a law.

I glance back down to the end of the counter while I straighten out my shirt, and there's Dana. Leaning against the counter, pushing her breasts up through her V-neck, flirting with a young man sitting across from her, while the large angry man continues to hold up his coffee mug, tapping at it widely with thick fingers, barking orders at me.