Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Last night is a bit of a blur. I hate to admit it, but I definitely had way too much to drink. That's two nights in a row. This place has me turning into an alcoholic. How the hell am I supposed to get through all of this sober?

I struggle to lug my suitcase downstairs. My wrists ache. And then I remember what happened with Jacob. Something I tried so hard to forget but the pain makes it impossible.

Standing at the top of my stairs, I pull back the sleeve of my hoodie, exposing my bruised wrist. Purple splotches dot my skin and I let out a shaking breath, covering them back up. There's a bruise on my neck too that I try to cover with my hair. I'd just like to pretend that incident never happened.

A similar SUV like the one last night is waiting outside my villa. The driver helps me toss my suitcase into the trunk and I crawl into the backseat.

No Kellen.

A strange feeling pings in my chest. Is he not coming? Why do I even care? I'll be fine going on this trip all by myself.

Before I get too comfortable with that thought, the door swings open and Kellen slides in next to me, not saying a single word.

Though last night is hazy, I do remember standing outside the bar and having my ass handed to me. I guess he's the type of guy to hold a grudge.

I don't try to force conversation. We ride to the airport in silence. Go through security without looking at each other. We don't even sit remotely close to one another at the gate.

This is exactly what I want, though. I want nothing to do with him. Yes, we are forced to go on this trip together. It doesn't mean I have to hang out with him.

I board the plane by myself and take my seat. There are only two seats per row and I'm against the window. I crane my next but Kellen isn't on yet.

As my eyes mindless scan the crowd, a man comes into my line of vision.

"Hello," he says, putting his bag up, snapping me from my trance.

"Hi," I say as he takes his seat.

Thank the fucking Lord!

The last thing I want is to be stuck sitting next to Kellen for the next five hours. Now I can spend time sitting in silence next to a complete stranger. How perfect.

I make myself comfortable. My earbuds are placed in my ears and the sweet sound of Post Malone is setting me at ease. My eyes close and I'm ready to nap for the rest of this flight. Absolute heaven. I can get used to this. A first-class seat, all expenses paid, I guess it's one of the perks of selling my body. Maybe this job has its upsides.

A dark shadow falls over me and my eyes fly open. I blink hard, adjusting to the bright sunlight cascading through the open window next to me.

Kellen stands by the guy in the seat next to me. His mouth is moving but I can't hear a damn thing.

I rip my earbuds out.

"That's my seat," Kellen says in a calm tone.

"Piss off," the man grunts.

Kellen crouches down next to him and lowers his voice. "See, the thing is, my seat is in the very front of the plane, more legroom. And it's right next to a beautiful, single, woman." Kellen glances at me and smirks. "This woman, on the other hand, is not. She's mine. And the sight of you sitting next to her makes me want to bash your fucking teeth in."

The man shoots me a pleading look, but gets up and hustles to the front of the plane, leaving his suitcase behind.

Kellen lets out a satisfied sigh, making himself comfortable in the seat next to me.