Chapter 8

Chapter 8

My head is pounding. The odd taste of metal fills my mouth. Did I bite my tongue? It's throbbing and hurts like hell. The back of my head is also throbbing. But, I can't open my eyes. Not yet. Its like every ounce of pain in my body needs to be noted before I can do that simple task.

The sensation of my eyes rolling back from behind my head sends a shiver coursing through me. Through closed lids, some light penetrates. And it burns. Oh, god, it fucking burns.

I turn my head over, but it presses against something soft. Smothering me until I can no longer breathe. I turn my head back the other way and on a deep breath, I open my eyes. Blinking hard and vigorously until they focus on the chandelier above me.

My hands reach out and searches the cool silk sheets below me. I turn my head to the side and ugly green wallpaper stares back at me. I turn the other way and two large men are standing in front of the white door. Blocking the only way out of this room.

The men are dressed in all black. Arms like tree trunks jut out from under their shirts. Black sunglasses sit snugly across their eyes even though we are in a room that is pretty dimly lit now that my eyes have adjusted.

I need to get out of here.

I muster up all of my strength and push myself off of the bed. Standing with wobbly legs, I make my way towards the door. But the men blocking the way don't move. They don't shutter in my presence. They just glare down at me with smirks tugging on their chapped lips.

"Move," I demand on a slight slur. My head is still spinning, but as I stand, I regain my balance. "I said move." I try to push my way in between them, but the guard on the right grabs my arm, burning my skin in his tight grasp.

I let out a hiss and he seems amused by this act because I swear I hear him laugh before he throws my body across the room. I fall onto the bed. My own fist slams into my chin and I bite my tongue again. The pain sends a groan exploding from my chest. But I don't let that stop me and I try again.

Throwing myself from the bed, I barrel over to them. Trying to squeeze past them. Slamming my hands against their padded chests. This time, they both grab my arms and throw me backward. I don't land on the bed. My back slams against the frame and my body melts onto the cold tiled floor.

"That's quite enough, gentlemen."

My head snaps up at the sound of Farah's voice. She's standing in front of the two men. Arms folded across her chest while she eye's my body struggling to regain its strength after being tossed around like a rag doll.

"What the hell is this?" I snarl, standing to my feet.

She smiles, holding her palms to her chest. "I am so sorry, Dear. But I had to make sure you were able to hear me out."

"Hear you out? About what? What the hells is happening? Did you... Did you drug me?" My mind is in a whirl. Bubbling from the champagne. The fucking champagne.

"We had to make sure you would hear us out before you left. I may have been a bit theatrical. But when we tell people what we do, they normally run off," she chuckles. "We told you we are in the entertainment business. Adult entertainment. And we are in need of some new employees."

"Adult entertainment? What, like, like porn?" I spit out.

Farah lets out a laugh. "Call it what you will, Dear. But we run a legitimate business here." She steps closer to me and I try to back up but the bed is blocking me in. "Our website is called The Red Room. And it is unlike anything you have seen before."

"I don't watch porn—"

"Before you go on lying to me, Dear, Jacob has already told me everything I need to know about you."

I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. Hearing Jacob's name is like a punch in my gut. Knocking all of the air from my chest.

"We offer multiple services on our site. People pay to subscribe, and they also have to option to pay for a request. Whatever the customer wants, they get. Certain employees perform on the site while others go out and scout. Jacob is one of those people."

"What the hell are you even saying right now?" My head spins as I try to wrap my brain around all of this. Around the idea of Jacob. No, I know him better than that. He wouldn't do any of this to me.

"It was Jacob's job to find us a suitable woman for the site, and he found you. He learned everything about you and reported back to us. We do think you will be a wonderful fit in the business."

"You've lost your fucking mind, lady." I walk past her, not interested in listening to any more of her bullshit.

"That's what most of them say until they realize how much money they could make."

I skid to a halt, the door just inches from my grasp. Inches away from being out of this nuthouse. But I freeze.

"My husband and I run a multimillion-dollar business. We take very good care of our employees. We give them a place to live. And they make more money than they know what to do with. And as Jacob has told me, you recently lost your job. You would love to get a degree. And you have no family here." Her breath tickles the back of my warm neck as she stands just inches from me now. "You are the most perfect person for the job," she speaks in a hushed tone for only me to hear.

I turn on my heels and she takes a step back. A smirk coaxes her lips as I chew on mine.

"If you want to turn me down, you have every right to. You can go back to your mediocre life for all I care. There are many other eligible women in your position. And I can send Jacob out to go find me another one..." She lifts her hands and shrugs. "It's your choice, Dear."

I can't believe I'm actually thinking about doing this. I mean it goes against all of my morals. Who in their right mind would want to flaunt themselves on the internet? In front of disgusting grown men with their hands down their pants.

"Our employees make a very good salary as well as commission based on how many views they get. And they each live in their own private villa on our estate." She folds her hands in front of her, looking and sounding like a perfect businesswoman. I guess that's how she makes all of this money. She sure knows how to convince someone to do what she wants. 

"Food, transportation, any necessity, is provided to our employees at no expense."

I let out a sigh, folding my arms tightly over my chest. Maybe it is the thought of the money. Having a nice place to live. Or the fact that the thought of Jacob right now makes my blood boil. Maybe it is everything combined that makes me say, "What do I have to do?"

Farah smirks. "The subscribers to the site suggest what they want to see and a poll is taken. Then you have to do what they choose for you."

My eyes grow wide at her vague statement. She really isn't going to give me much information since I haven't given her an answer yet. Is this all worth it? Is it worth compromising my morals, my integrity, just to make some money? Yet again, what the hell do I really have to lose?

"We will take care of you like you are family." Farah reaches out and takes my hand. Offering me the sweetest smile. "You will never have to struggle ever again."

I lick my bottom lip and on an unsteady breath I say, "okay."