23. Refute and Disregard

Once exam break concludes, morning and as called after school rehearsals resume

Once exam break concludes, morning and as called after school rehearsals resume. While I was forced to spend a significant portion of exam break studying for my diploma exams, I'm pleased to recommence my usual rigorous studying of the show instead.

As I've thoroughly memorized the script of the show, I tend to spend my time going over the stage manager's script instead. I'm very pleased to have gotten the job, if only temporarily- it's quite arduous, and relatively thankless, but I find it utterly gratifying regardless. I enjoy immersing myself in the show- it provides me with a distinct sense of purpose and satisfaction.

I've been receiving a large amount of positive feedback as well. Many have approached me with messages of gratitude for the work I've invested- reaching out to absent students to inform them of their blocking, memorizing the blocking so I can notify anyone performing their choreography incorrectly, and improving my own performance with my consciousness of the movement amongst the cast onstage.

Quite honestly, it's enough to make me desire to keep the job permanently. I am aware, of course, that I would be incapable of performing the required duties once we've progressed to the final stages of the show, and at that point it would not be ideal to have a stage manager lacking the necessary experience with the show. Still, I find it quite enjoyable to be so be occupied with so many tasks.

Perhaps this is why I offer my services when Mr. McNelson mentions finding a replacement stage manager during a morning rehearsal. Once the bell rings, signalling the commence of the school day, I approach his desk.

"Sir, would you care for my assistance in obtaining a stage manager?"

He looks to be surprised at this offer. "I couldn't ask that of you, Exander. You've already got enough on your plate."

"On the contrary. I have an abundance of free time. I believe there could be great value in allowing me to select a suitable stage manager and review the material with them."

He considers this. "Well... I suppose you're accustomed to the role and what it entails, and they are going to need to be familiar with everything we've already gone over. But I can just ask them to look through the stage manager's script in their free time, I don't want to pile anything else on you."

"I assure you, my work load is quite lighter than I'm sure you consider it to be. I'm more than capable of finding a stage manager and ensuring that they have no questions about the first half of the show-"

"I can't tell if you're actively hijacking the show if you're just being a control freak," interrupts a voice from behind me. I turn to see Andrew Cabinet, the student performing as Philip Hamilton. "You're already playing the lead role and the temporary stage manager, plus you forced us all into a rehearsal over winter break. Chill out, this isn't your show."

"I assure you, all of my actions are in the name of improving our final product-"

"Are you even capable of saying a sentence without a ton of pretentious words? Like, just be a normal person for once in your life."