28. Most Fitting

We return to school for morning rehearsal on Monday to be informed by Mr

We return to school for morning rehearsal on Monday to be informed by Mr. McNelson that we'll be working on The Room Where It Happens. Partway through the week, he makes another announcement: that the art teacher has provided the art for the posters for the show, as well as the programmes. And then he mentions recruiting volunteers to write up the programmes and put them together. Previously, when I'd offered to select and train the new stage manager, that had been an overstep on my part. But since he's explicitly asking for volunteers, I deem it safe to offer my services.

I approach his desk after class. "Sir, I'd like to volunteer to help with the programmes-"

"Not again," comes a groan from behind me. "I thought you agreed to stop hijacking our show!"

I turn to face Andrew. "Offering to assist construct programmes for the show is hardly hijacking. I'll gladly put myself at the end of the line to volunteer if you or any other cast members feel so strongly about volunteering first. I'll accept any job, if you're worried that I might take whichever one you consider to be the most desirable."

He's clearly caught off-guard. "Uh, no. I don't volunteer."

"Then what concern is it of yours if I choose to?"

"It's not your job," he snaps. "When Mr. McNelson asked for volunteers, he meant super involved parents or maybe friends. You're already part of the show, stop being a busybody."

"It seems to me that you're more frustrated with the fact that I desire to be significantly involved in the show, rather than the potential results of that. So therefore, I'd actually deem you to be the busybody, considering that you're integrating yourself into what is really no true concern of yours unless I'm personally interfering with something you desire."

"I 'desire' you to stop hijacking the show. You're already the lead role, you were the stage manager, organized a rehearsal over winter break, wanted to choose and train the new stage manager, and now you want to take over the programmes too? Just give it a rest, dude."

Before I can retort to inform him that he's being unreasonable, Thaniel steps in. "Hey there. How about you give it a rest? I don't think my brother is doing anything wrong, and you're just trying to intimidate him because you were able to get your way last time and you enjoy being a bully."

Andrew narrows his eyes at Thaniel, then at me. "Actually, I think both of you are just controlling little fu-"

"Enough." Mr. McNelson stands up. "Andrew, Exander, if you have a problem, you can work it out outside of my classroom. Exander, if you'd like to volunteer to help with programmes, you are free to do so. There's a link on the website where you can sign up. Class is dismissed, now go home."

Andrew pouts and scowls at me as he sourly takes his backpack and exits. Thaniel, of course, makes me wait a moment and asks if I'm okay. I nod and pull him out of the classroom.

Once we're in the car driving home, Thaniel decides it's necessary to continue questioning me on the matter. "Do you know why Andrew has a problem with you?"

"My most fitting theory is that he's jealous. It fits with his behaviour."

"Jealous why?"

"Perhaps that I was chosen as Hamilton? Or of my superior intellect?" I shrug. "That I play Spica's husband in the show, when he clearly has some sort of interest in her?"

Thaniel frowns. "He likes Spica?"

"He tends to ask her to date him quite frequently, occasionally paired with a somewhat crude comment on the appearance of her jeans."

Thaniel clenches his jaw. "Her jeans."

"The fitted black ones." I agree that the jeans are attractive on her, but the way Andrew often voices his interest seems more offensive and pointed at her body than kind and genuine, and it clearly causes Spica a great deal of discomfort.

I can almost see Thaniel making a mental note to do something about this. "Alright. And you think that's why he's been attacking you?"

"He hasn't stated any specific reason except that he believes me to be 'hijacking the show', which would imply he's jealous over the role I was given in comparison to his own."

He frowns again. "That's weird, though, because even before you showed up, everyone kind of assumed that the lead would go to Cael... he's the one who's been mad at you for that, it doesn't change much for anyone else, except that one more big part is taken."

"Perhaps Andrew is harassing me on Cael's account," I suggest. "If Andrew already has a personal grudge against me, it couldn't be too difficult for Cael to have him attack me in any form."

"Yeah, that does make sense," Thaniel says, sounding concerned. "But- regardless of who it is, you can't just let people push you around, Exander. You have to stand up for yourself."

"I was. I did. You interrupted before I could fully make my case."

"Okay, but you have to understand- you're younger than these people, and you use big words which makes it seem like you're trying to compensate for your age. Be pushier when you're defending yourself. It's not a political debate, and it has nothing to do with how good your arguments are. It's about power, and if people think they can push you around with no retaliation except some fancy vocabulary, then they are going to continue to do it. And they're not going to take you seriously if I keep having to step in."

I could argue that he didn't have to step in, because after dealing with our father I could never be intimidated by a teenage boy. However, I'm aware that Thaniel is only trying to look out for me, so I simply agree instead.

What do you think of the chapter? Andrew taking a shot at Exander for the second time? And Thaniel's talk with Exander afterwards? Tell me your thoughts in the comments!

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider giving it a vote or comment! Thank you so much for reading!