27. The Stage Manager

Since the incident when Exander offered to select and train the stage manager for me and Andrew blew up at him, things have been going surprisingly smoothly

Since the incident when Exander offered to select and train the stage manager for me and Andrew blew up at him, things have been going surprisingly smoothly. To be honest, I was expecting a lot of unresolved tension and glares from across the room. Fortunately, both boys seem to have put aside their differences for the sake of the show. It definitely makes rehearsal easier.

I choose a new stage manager, a grade twelve named Isla. She was on the tech team a few years ago- she was in charge of the sound. She's a hard worker and it's easy for me to trust her with the duties of the stage manager. I also know that she'll actually go back through the first half of the show and figure out everything that happens there, so that she can ask me questions if she has any, unlike other students that might leave that until the very last minute and then end up scrambling during the show. The stage manager is a very important position, and I'm very pleased to have Isla filling it.

Also, very convenient- she has a spare during the last period of the day, so she can watch rehearsals and familiarize herself with everything that happens, rather than me writing down everything in the stage manager's script and trusting the stage manager to look at it later. Of course, the stage manager does have to attend the morning and after school rehearsals, so anyone I chose would be familiar with the show regardless, but it's nice to have Isla present at all the rehearsals.

She shows up on time to attract quite a bit of attention from the cast. I smile to myself, then mount the stage and clap. "Alright! Before we get started, I'd like to make an announcement. Isla will be taking on the responsibility of stage manager." I grin as a few people cheer loudly. "Okay, okay. Let's get on with rehearsal. Places for the top of Say No to This."

I get off the stage, then gesturing to Isla to come to the front of the audience. She takes a seat in the front row, pulling out a pencil and eraser. Exander comes down the aisle, carrying the stage manager's script. Right.

He flips through it before handing it to her. "Here. The stage manager's script."

She smiles at him. "Thanks. You're Hamilton, right?"

"Correct."

She holds out a hand. "Nice to meet you."

He shakes it. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance as well."

She smirks a little at his vocabulary. I smile as well. Rigel appears behind Exander, giving Isla a smile. "Hi, Isla. Welcome aboard. If you need any help understanding the blocking for the first half of the show, you can ask me."

She smiles at him. "For sure. Thanks."

"No problem." Then, to Exander: "Come on, they're waiting."

Exander frowns slightly, but does go onstage to take his place for the top of the number. I suppose he did offer to me to help whoever ends up becoming the stage manager, maybe he's irked that Rigel offered first?

There has been some kind of tension between them. I assumed it was because they're the leads of the show, and there's some kind of odd relationship there, but Rigel must have known about Exander offering to help the new stage manager. That seems like a pretty specific shot.

Or maybe Rigel's just offering because he's known Isla for a few years. Whatever. I play the track for the song and make a mental note to ignore the weird social politics of high school.

What do you think of the chapter? How about Rigel offering to help Isla with the blocking for the first half of the show? Let me know in the comments!

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! Thank you so much for reading!