Come on, baby play me like a love song

Perhaps in another universe, it could've been Mina who breaks the Golden Rule.

But in this, it's Nayeon. It's Nayeon who falls, who breaks; helplessly—

It only takes a matter of time before she comes to terms with herself.

*****

The sun creeps past the curtains, making its way to Nayeon's eyes.

Mina.

Mina.

Mina.

She thinks about Mina even before her instincts guide her to shield her eyes from the sunlight.

Her first thought in the morning is Mina.

Mina actually stayed the night. The team leader was sleeping peacefully, using Nayeon's arm (which now feels numb) as her pillow, and Nayeon didn't want to disturb her, so she carefully lifts Mina's head before slipping out of the sheets.

Nayeon stays a little while to wonder how someone was created so beautifully. Nayeon finds her breathing synchronised to the rise and fall of Mina's chest. She shakes off the unsettling feeling in her chest and puts on her robe before heading to the kitchen to make some kombucha.

Mina says she hates it, but Nayeon knows the team leader actually loves her brew.

So Nayeon goes through the tedious l process of making it for Mina, to prove the team leader that her brew is superior. She does it for bragging rights. (It takes a lot of time and effort to brew kombucha, but Nayeon thinks Mina is worth all that hassle).

Nayeon carefully takes out the tea she's been fermenting for almost a week, takes out an expensive bottle of whisky she got from Japan, some ice, and a whole lemon to prep the glass. She skilfully pours half a shot of whisky (Mina doesn't like it when it's too strong), followed by two shots of the tea. She adorns the glass with a slice of lemon.

Nayeon hears soft footsteps approaching, and she suddenly feels her heart pick up pace. It's never been like this.

Excluding the fact that it's only Mina apart from her who's in the flat, she already memorises the sound of the team leader's footsteps. It varies. When Mina wears heels, her footsteps sound like rolling thunder. When Mina's barefoot, they barely make a sound, but the little waddles vibrate through the floor, and Nayeon's body is attuned to this. Her body seems to be alert to every sound Mina makes. So she turns to face Mina.

"Morning!" Nayeon smiles widely at the grumpy-faced lady.

"Morning." Mina rubs her eyes and stretches, exposing the part of her waist Nayeon marked last night.

"You're so grumpy in the morning. I made you some kombucha." Nayeon serves her the glass.

"I don't like kombucha. Only people who seem to get their lives together drink it." Mina comments but her face lights up the moments she takes a sip, her eyes forming into little crescents.

"I only drink if it's you who made it."

Nayeon's heart flutters. Was it her ego being satisfied or was it something else?

"It's Sunday. You don't have to leave immediately." Nayeon says. "It's not like you go to church or a temple."

"I know. We're both going to hell." Mina replies. "You just want me to stay because you want someone to cook for you."

"Well, that's...not a lie." Nayeon retorts. That's not a complete truth either. (I want you to stay because I like you here).

"I'll take the kombucha as payment. You're one of the richest in Korea. Get your own chef. Like a professional one." Mina teases, but she puts on an apron anyway and starts tying her hair.