7. I'm Sorry, Luke

I woke up with full energy. When I got up from my bed, I was alone. I peek through the curtain but Luke and Matt were nowhere to be seen. The morning meds routine came not long after that. I took it and headed to the bathroom, spent some time in the shower, and then got ready for today's plans. I was sitting next to the window, as usual, waiting for Luke. My hair was tied into a messy bun, and I kept a few more hair ties in my pocket, just in case I needed it again later. The shoes Garcia bought for me were comfortable. And the new clothes, I like the feeling of fresh clothes in my body. I feel like me. I'm ready now.

I brainstorm myself, walk through all of the steps I need to do to run away. Once again, I mapped my route into my brain. The chapel's back door will lead me to the city forest. From there I can walk to my apartment. It will take a few hours on foot. It sounds long but I used to walk for hours around my city during weekends. I am used to it. I am used to it, that's sounds ancient, I barely remember any part of it.

Luke came inside with another man in tow. He didn't say anything, his eyes avoiding me. Both of them sat down in front of me, both were quiet. I raise my eyebrows at them, I have a bad feeling about this. Something bad is going on.

"Ava, this is Dr Spencer Reid. He will come with us," Luke said while ignoring my eyes. He sighed. "Matt has something else to do, so he wasn't able to join us today. I hope you don't mind."

Aww, shut! I hate this Luke guy! The voice inside me cursing loudly. What's next? Bringing the whole battalion with him? 

"My name is Dr Spencer Reid, nice to meet you." He said introducing himself, "I will be with you and agent Alvez today, but before we leave, we need to tell you something, Ava. And I'm sorry in advance."

I can hear some concerns in his voice "what is it? You can tell me, nothing is surprising for me anymore, agents."

"We found number 4's body. Last night she was murdered in a rural area in Norfolk." Dr Reid spoke fast while staring at me, both of them tensed in anticipation.

"Is she a blonde or raven-haired girl?" I stood up, pacing inside the room. Biting my nails, I thought to myself, this too fast, way too fast. He speeds up his hunting game. He didn't give anyone time to breathe. I'm gonna die. 

We're gonna die, you stupid! The voice snaps angrily. I shook my head. My hands are cold and sweating, I rub them on my jeans.  

Don't want to die. Don't want to die. I chant it again.

"Blonde," Luke said. He tried to stop me from biting my nails but I shoved him away. I'm afraid. Help me… 

"Paige…" I said quietly, "She has a scholarship in Yale waiting for her. She wants to go and let the whole world know that not all blondes are empty brained." I chuckled and let them both know about Paige's dreams. Then a tear rolled down. I wiped it away. It's not the time to grieve, I will make him pay for her death. My feet lost their strength, I'm trying to reach the edge of the bed to sit, but I stumble down, Reid catches me out of reflex. 

"You're okay? Can you stand up?" He put my hand around his neck, then carried me to the bed.

"Thank you." I took a few deep breaths. Luke sat beside me and gave me a bottle of water. 

"Ava, we're sorry for your loss. But we must show you this picture to confirm it's Paige. And there's a lot of things you need to see," he stops there, doesn't want to continue, he glances at Luke, sending a silent help code.

Quiet. "But?" I asked him, sensing he has another concern.

Like sighed, tapping his finger onto the file, "It's disturbing, Ava," Luke said after a few seconds. "I'm not sure you can handle it,"