t e n

n e m e s i s

"You're ripped at every edge but you're a masterpiece, and now I'm tearing through the pages and the ink."

. . .

After we both realize what we're doing, we pull away from each other. I inhale a deep breath and rake a hand through my brown hair.

Our eyes meet.

"Why do we keep doing this?" I whisper. Alessio sighs, and rakes a hand through his hair.

"I don't know," he mutters. I shake my head, disappointed in myself to let myself get carried away.

"This isn't good," I say. "If this keeps happening, I don't think it's a good idea if I keep coming over," I tell him, and rake a hand through my hair.

"You're right," he says and looks at me in the eye. "I normally don't do such things, you've got to believe me on that. But..." he trails off, "I don't know what's been going on lately with me."

I nod, taking in what he's telling me.

"I understand," I say softly. "Then it's not good if I stay here any longer. You seem like you can use the night to just rest and think about things," I tell him and quickly take the pictures off the counter and stuff them inside my bag along with the camera. He follows me into the hall.

"Yeah, you're right. I don't know what came over me, honestly. Just like the last time."

I nod and get my coat and shoes. "Alright, I'll be leaving then," I say awkwardly, and put my shoes back on.

"And I'm sorry for what has occurred earlier," he apologizes. I send him a friendly smile. "It wasn't your fault, I was just overreacting," I say.

And with a last goodbye, I turn around and walk out of his house, not knowing when I'll be seeing him again.

If I see him again.

"I'm home!" I yell once the front door is closed behind me

"In the kitchen, darling!" I hear my dad yell back. I take off my shoes and coat, and head for the kitchen. He's leaning against the counter with a cup of coffee in his hands while scrolling away on his phone.

"Hey dad," I smile and press a kiss against his cheek. He smiles back at me. "Hey honey, how was your day?" he asks and takes a sip of the black liquid. I shrug.

"Alright. Yours?"

"The usual," he says, "but today I ran into the girl that has been jogging past our house recently. I don't know if you've noticed her."

I cock my head to the side, and recall the young girl my dad has been talking to outside in the garden. "I've seen her around, yes," I say and nod my head.

"She's very kind," he says. Oh god.

"I'm sure she is," I remark, and press my lips together.