t w e n t y

n e m e s i s

"Call me calloused, call me cold. You're italic, I'm in bold."

° ° °

I apply the red lipstick to my lips, causing them to look blood-red. I stand up from my vanity and take a step back, letting my eyes scan my look for the last time.

I need to look flawless tonight. If not, the night will be ruined, and I don't know if I can predict what'll happen if something occurs that might stand in my way of getting what I want.

My make-up is perfectly done, the highlight is applied perfectly which accentuates my cupid's bow, the tip of my nose, and my cheekbones. My blush looks natural and my concealer hides all the spots on my face I want to be hidden tonight.

Satisfied with my look, I straighten my back, grab my purse and exit my room. But as I open the door of my room, I'm surprised to see Matt exiting his, wearing a tuxedo. I raise my brow.

"Going out tonight?" I ask, making his head snap in my direction. His eyes take in my attire. "I could ask you the same thing."

I cross my arms. "You never go with dad on this event. Why tonight?" I ask. He smirks. "Again; I could ask you the same thing."

Rolling my eyes at his response, I pass him on my way down and watch my step as I descend the stairs with my heels on.

"Are you guys ready?" dad's loud voice booms from the kitchen. I glance into the mirror that's placed in the hallway, approving of my hair which falls in waves over my shoulder. "Yes," I answer.

"Good," he says as he walks out of the kitchen, wearing a suit. The doorbell ringing startles me. I frown. "Are we expecting someone?" I ask Matt and dad.

Dad walks towards the door. "I am," he says as he opens the door, revealing a beautiful-looking Kate.

The sight of her makes my throat close up and my heart race a little faster. Are they going together?

I swallow as I watch them place kisses on each other's cheeks, making me cringe internally. "Kinda weird," I hear Matt whisper under his breath from beside me, and I couldn't agree more.

It's weird seeing dad with someone else besides mom, and even though I don't know what's going on between the two of them, I have this feeling this will develop into something else–and I don't know how to feel about that.

What will people think if dad has a girlfriend that's half his age?

You're one to talk.

Alessio is not my boyfriend. He's an affair, an affair that I want all to myself.

Kate turns to us and sends us a friendly smile. "Good evening," she greets us, and all I can do is nod at her and send her a little smile.

Matt does the same thing, and not much later dad suggests we should leave and we all walk outside to take place in dad's car.

Matt and I sit in the backseats while dad and Kate sit in the front. An awkward silence takes place as we ride over to the building where the gala is taking place. Dad and Kate are quietly talking to each other, while Matt and I occasionally send each other weird glances.

"Thank god," I hear Matt mutter under his breath as we arrive after some time. We all get out of the car, and my excitement to see Alessio builds up with the second.

My heels click against the pavement when we walk to the entrance, and we all greet the security guards that are standing in front of the doors.

Dad shows them the invitation and the warm air from inside welcomes us as we enter.