t h i r t e e n

n e m e s i s

"Have we gone too far? Have we lost our minds? Imitating the seasons, and we fall behind."

. . .

After I've put on my clothes and brushed my teeth, I go downstairs to find Alessio in the kitchen, preparing himself a cup of coffee.

"Hey," I greet him from the doorframe. He turns around, so our eyes meet. "Hey," he says and sends me a smile. A little shy, I fiddle with my fingers and enter the kitchen, taking a seat at one of the stools by the island.

"You want a cup?" he asks. I nod my head, and he prepares another cup. The tension is thick in the air, making it awkward for both of us.

Deciding to be the first one to take a step, I slide off the stool and walk towards his side of the island, wrapping my arms around him and pressing my cheek against his back.

I'm disappointed when I feel him tense up. "Nemesis," he sighs and turns around. I feel his hands land on my upper arms. I pout as I see the look of regret in his eyes.

"Don't you dare say that last night and this morning was a mistake," I whisper, already feeling the determination surface. "It's not..." he begins but lets out a sigh anyway.

"There's just something about you that I can't resist," he mumbles. "So why bother?" I ask, and raise my eyebrows. He licks his lips.

"I have a wife," he fires back. I furrow my brows.

"Who's not giving you what you want! I'm not blind, Alessio. Just... please, don't tell me that this won't be happening again because we both know it will," I tell him, and raise my hand to caress his features.

He's just so... beautiful.

As simple as that.

"Nobody has to know," I add in a whisper, and lean up to press my lips against his. He softly pushes me back. "Nemesis," he begins again.

"I'm so tired of this shit," I whisper, and I can feel the tears come again. I know he has a weakness for them.

"We both want this, so why resist it?" I ask against his lips. "I need you. And you need me," I say, so desperate to convince him.

"I know," he says, his voice pained. I feel his hand go to my cheek, tenderly stroking it with his thumb.

And this time, when I mold our lips together he kisses me back. But the kiss is interrupted by the front door being slammed shut.

"Honey? I'm back from work!" Ruby's voice calls out. Alessio and I immediately break away from the kiss, but my lips are still lingering close to his.

"Remember," I whisper, and leave the word hanging like a promise in the air.

I take the cup he has been preparing and walk back to the other side of the island, and take the seat back on the stool.

"Honey?" Ruby asks, her voice sounding near the kitchen. And then she appears at the opening of the door. Her eyes fall on me, and they widen in surprise.

"Nemesis!" she says, her lips breaking into a huge smile. She walks over to me and greets me with her signature kiss on the cheek before she walks over to Alessio to give him a quick peck.

"Hey!" I smile, ignoring the slight twinge of guilt coursing through me. But when I look at Alessio, I realize it's worth it.

"I was just stopping by because it has been so long, and it appeared you were out of town," I say with a little shrug.