Pessimistic Thoughts

Eventually, and perhaps inevitably, the walk lasted one hour, and then two, and then three, and all that time neither you saw any sign of humans nor did your scroll work. So here you are, cursing your life in stifled silence. Weiss hasn't said a word nor looked at you since your argument, like she's protesting your existence. Maybe she's waiting for you to freeze to death, or she's waiting for you to shout at her. Your face still faintly smarts from where she hit you. The only thing you can hear is the susurration of the wind running across the snowy ground like unseeable kestrels dipping low.

You stop, and she continues to walk ahead a few metres. She hasn't noticed the figure lumbering in the distance behind you both like you have. It's vaguely human, stumbling on two legs, shambling like a freak with recombinant bones. It's far behind you however, hanging ominously on the horizon. The darkness of it tells you it's a Grimm, and the way it's following you means it's following your emotions. No doubt the rift between you two has drawn it near, like two beacons pouring forth the sweet-smelling nectar of negativity. It's so far behind, and so slow, that you're unbothered by it. For a moment you consider not telling Weiss, but it might be a decent conversation starter, and that's enough for you to tell her.

"Hey, Weiss!" You call, making her freeze. She looks lazily over her shoulder, her eyes half lidded and tired, full of vitriol. She doesn't say anything but waits for you to talk.

"You see that?" You point toward the horizon. You see her sigh and visibly deflate, before she walks closer to you. Her eyes scan the horizon, and she barely catches the dark figure.

"You see it?" You ask.

She shrugs, "It's slow. Non-issue." Her words are bland and heavy; uninterested.

"I guess." You're not really sure what to say; she barely gave you anything to go off. She turns around and continues walking, letting you sigh. She's ignoring you as much as she can, behaving like a child.

"Weiss," you say, more sternly. She doesn't stop this time, ignoring your voice. "Really? What to you want me to do? Apologise? You're the one who hit me!" You yell at her. She mumbles something that you don't catch.

"Speak up."

She slowly turns to face you, and there's conflict written across her face.

"I don't want anything from you," she says with a shrug, but she's evidently frustrated. "I just want to not have to talk to you, so don't even bother apologising. I know you won't mean it anyway," she adds, words drenched in misguided annoyance.

"Weiss, I'm trying to be your friend. I swear I- look, I like you, as a person. You're not bad, I want to be your friend, but I feel as though you dislike me inherently. What can I do?" You notice her eyes fixate on something over your shoulder, widening as her whole body tenses. Any words you want to say catch in your throat and extinguish as you turn around.

The Grimm has dropped to four feet, suddenly sprinting faster than a train. It's a distinct change from the humanoid stumbling it was doing earlier, in fact it's more lupine now, and terrifying. The world deafens around you as your eyes stick to the Grimm like glue, and you never hear Weiss calling for you.

"(Y/N)!" Her words suddenly break through the daze. "We need to go!" Her cold hand clutches yours, and before you realise, you're sprinting across the snow, with Weiss pulling you along. As for her, she knows she's too low on aura to sustain a fight with a Grimm like that, and she can't use what she has left on hastening glyphs. Her only hope is to be able to outrun it. Despite the adrenaline pouring into your blood like a broken dam, the creature is still significantly faster than you both. It's no surprise, though humans are developed to be able to run for long times and have high stamina, but the sheer speed of certain types of Grimm makes that useless.