And for the First Time in Forever: You're Alive

Weiss shifts a bit, silver strands of hair falling from her face and onto the sheets. Despite her stirring, she stays asleep. Her hair, no longer in its usual ponytail, splays across your bed. It looks like a shimmering halo of light in the dim light of your bedroom lightbulb. Some sunlight from outside manages to seep inside, even despite the drawn curtains. You think its mid-afternoon, maybe about three PM.

You kneel beside her and dunk a scrap of cloth in warm, salted water, then dab the left side of her face. There's a nasty gash running over her eye, and though most of the blood has been cleaned away, the cut itself has scabbed over with the help of her aura. The sight of it spears your heart with guilt. You look away, but all you see in exchange is your own scales, intermixed with your own scabs where you've peeled scales away.

Some part of you is still surprised that Weiss even convinced you to leave that cave and return home. What you'll do now that she knows what you are is something you still don't know.

Weiss makes a breathy sound and stirs, her eyes fluttering open. She looks straight through you, not quite registering who you are. She makes a groaning sound and shuts her eyes, before lightly swatting you with a weak hand.

"Klein... get me a drink," she mutters, before wincing at the light and pulling the blanket over her head. You watch her a moment, stunned, before standing.

"Okaaay then," you say, turning on your heel. You walk out of the room and leave Weiss alone, heading downstairs and into the kitchen. Yushan is there, leaning against the kitchen top. She shreds a chunk of apple away with her teeth and swallows it.

"How is she?" she asks.

"Delusional, I think. She just gave me an order like I was one of her servants," you say, still wondering who Klein is.

Yushan takes another bite. "Is that unusual? It sounds just like her."

You pause, think, and then hum. "True." As Yushan finishes off the apple, you fill a glass with tap water.

As you walk back upstairs, Yushan keeps an eye on you.

You stand outside your own door, take a deep breath, and then knock on it before entering. "Good morning, Ice Queen, time to wake up!"

She groans and turns away from you. "Noooooo," she continues, pulling the pillow over her head.

"I got your water," you say, standing over her head. She peeks out from below the pillow and looks at you quizzically.

"Wait... I thought that was..."

You smile. "Klein?"

She suddenly gasps and sits up. "Where am I? What time is it?"

"My bed, three in the afternoon. Anything else?"

She rubs her forehead and winces. "Yes. What happened?"

You leave your glass next to her and then sit at the end of the bed. "Do you remember the fight outside the mines? You fell unconscious after that."

"Oh. How did I get here?"

You raise an eyebrow. "Seriously?" you ask. "I carried you here. You're heavy, by the way."

"Oh, of cours- wait." She suddenly throws a pillow at you. "Don't say that to a girl!"

You let the pillow smack your face. "I wouldn't say it to any girl. Just you."

She looks at you with a scowl. "Thanks," she says, the word dripping with venom.

You shrug. "How does your face feel?"

Carefully, she skirts her fingers across the gash. Very soon after, she retracts her hand and cringes. "Smarting pain. It'll heal."