18. Trying to Apologize at Midnight

What?! A fairly quick upload?! Yes! I'm back in my writing groove! I'm sure you're all excited for the plans I have in store. I know I'm excited to be writing them again. Even if this chapter isn't the best... and it's short... But I'm optimistic! I hope you enjoy!

I do not own One Piece.

"It's Whitebeard!"

"What's Whitebeard doing here?!"

"I'm getting out of here!"

Various customers yelled when one of them spotted Whitebeard's ship approaching the sea restaurant. Zeff had just walked out of the kitchen when the commotion started, and frowned at the people leaving. It wasn't that they didn't pay. Zeff couldn't care less if they paid for their food or not. No, he was upset that they were leaving plates full of good food behind.

"Hey! You bastards had better come back here, and eat the rest of that food!" Zeff sighed as he held Sanji back from the retreating customers.

"Relax, Little Eggplant. We can use what's left to feed the approaching pirate crew." Zeff said, and Sanji calmed down after hearing that the food would not be wasted. Then he stopped as if something dawned on him.

"Wait, did they say that Whitebeard was here?!" Sanji asked with a wide eye.

Zeff walked over to the window to see for himself. There was a chance that it would be Whitebeard, but there were a lot of people out there who wouldn't hesitate to imitate a famous pirate crew to take advantage of people. He looked out the window and saw that it was indeed the Moby Dick.

"It appears that he is, though I have no idea why he's in the East Blue of all places." Zeff said, and turned to Sanji who looked like he was about to pass out from shock. The old chef waited for Sanji to snap out of his stupor.

"Why is he here?!" Sanji yelled.

"Didn't you just hear me say that I don't know?" Zeff responded in annoyance, and walked out front to meet the oncoming Emperor.

Sanji followed, and the chef studied the small sous-chef's expression. While he was still getting over some shock, he held only a hint of fear. Zeff didn't hold it against him, though. Any child would be intimidated if they were going to cook for the strongest man in the world. No, he was actually rather proud of the Little Eggplant for not showing any signs of running. Not that he would let the brat know what he was feeling, of course.

All of the boats the other customers arrived in were long gone by the time the Moby Dick had docked at the restraunt. Zeff waited patiently for one of the Whitebeard pirates to say something, and Sanji stood rigidly next to him. Soon Whitebeard himself came into view.

"Long time, no see, Red Leg." He greeted.

"It has been a while, hasn't it?" Zeff called back.

"Wait, you've met him before?!" Sanji questioned in shock.

"We've had a few run-ins." Zeff answered.

"I seem to remember you being on the losing end of each run-in." Whitebeard said, and Zeff couldn't help but smirk. He was younger and more reckless back then, and had foolishly challenged Whitebeard to several duels. He lost all of them.

"Those were the days. So, what are you doing here in the East Blue? I don't really see you coming all the way over here to pay me a random visit." Zeff asked.

"You'd be right to assume that. While I was curious after I heard you lost your leg, I'm afraid another matter has brought me to this sea." Whitebeard got off his ship, and stood before the two chefs. Sanji was staring up at the giant of a man in awe.