Chapter 7: Alara

"Good evening, Alara."

"Hi, Adelmo," Alara said glumly.

Adelmo's lips pulled down into a frown, creasing his wrinkled forehead, although his blue eyes still sparkled with a hint of humor. His silver beard was short and unkempt—as though he hadn't shaved since Alara had last seen him—making him look older and more tired. Next to him, upper arm gripped in other his large hand, stood Quenti.

"Now would one of you care to explain to me what Alara Ayar was doing down here at this time of night entering illegal skirmishes?"

"I—uh—we—" Alara stuttered, searching for an answer that made any sense at all and didn't land them in a load of trouble. She turned to Quenti for help, but when she met her eyes, the other girl was only trying to suppress a laugh.

Alara shot daggers at her. She regretted not leaving Quenti on her own when she ran off the first time. She could be safe and warm in bed, and most importantly, not in trouble right now.

Face red with shame, Alara met Adelmo's eyes, "We got lost?"

"You got...lost. Inside a fighting ring?"

Alara stared dumbly at Adelmo for second, her mouth open slightly as if she'd come up with a sudden genius retort. It didn't come, and she closed her mouth finally, silent. She shifted uncomfortably on the balls of her feet and looked away, no longer wanting to meet the intensity of his blue eyes.

"Well, this is awkward." Quenti finally piped up, laughter still dancing in her eyes. "Okay, so this was sorta my fault. I tripped and hit her, pushing her into the ring. Next thing we know they're throwin' a spear at her. I'm just so clumsy."

Adelmo looked Quenti up and down and then turned his gaze back on Alara, who was still trying to not make eye contact.

"Right," the old man said. "Very clumsy indeed. Well, we'd better get you cleaned up before you head back to the dorms, then. Otherwise, Senya Emaru may have an idea of how clumsy you can be."

Alara looked down at her pants and tunic and saw them smeared with mud. Even her skin was covered in a thin layer of cream dust, lightening her complexion in the dull light. Biting her lip, she lifted her hand to her hair and gave a groan at the tangle of dirt and brown waves her hair had become. It was going to take forever to get it clean again, and she had just bathed that afternoon.

"Come on." Adelmo was already a few steps ahead of her, his hand still leading Quenti along with him as he pushed through the oblivious crowd.

The onlookers' attention had been drawn away from them again to the ring, which now held two new competitors.

It took a few minutes of weaving between people, but they finally burst through on the other side of the crowd. Adelmo led them down a dark and thin tunnel to the side of the fighting chamber. It was empty and the sound of the dark marketplace and din of the audience faded with every turn they took.

Quenti's teeth shone bright in the dark and Alara gave a huff of annoyance to see she was still smiling after all of this. Alara wasn't sure who she was angry at more, at this point: Quenti for leading her down there and pushing her into that ring, or herself for not having ditched the troublemaker when she had the chance. She was not looking forward to the disappointed looks from Adelmo over the next few weeks. He wasn't the type to tattle to Emaru about this little excursion, but she doubted he would let this go quickly.

Given the rumors surrounding this part of the Haven, it didn't take long for Alara to get turned around. But as soon as they ascended a set of stone steps, she knew where they were. If they turned right they would find the healing quarter of the Haven and left would take them to the Council's quarter. But Adelmo continued leading them straight down a familiar path to Alara, out to Cielo.