Chapter 25: Alara

Alara lay on the ground for another hour, eyes tracing the vines that wove to create the ceiling of Lili's home. The pattern was anything but natural, and Alara knew that Lili had likely used her magia to help the vines along. They twisted together across the ceiling, green leaves fluttering in the breeze that came through the window.

The architecture of Lili's home was beautiful. Beyond the mural in the living room, Lili had used magia to tailor the branches of the tree her house was perched in. One of the walls of her bedroom was made from these branches, formed into an intricate design that depicted a forest and a river. It was the type of magia that the Council would consider a waste of time and energy. The mages would occasionally do small tricks to impress the villagers or the blameless, but it was all for show. Magia was for survival. But Alara felt a tingle of warmth at the beauty of Lili's skills and wondered what else these abilities could create.

Alara stood up, muscles stiff from her time pouting, and she gave herself a small shake. She was spending too much time thinking. Not good. A small flicker of heat snapped in her chest. It was Runeo's fault she was locked in this house. She had let his threats get to her and now she was slowly going crazy locked up here.

No, it wasn't his fault. It was hers for letting him get to her.

With a determined huff, Alara slipped on the sandals that Lili had given her. She glanced at her magite clothes for a moment before slipping into the Arboreli outfit she had borrowed from Lili. The soft wool pants and tunic felt light against her skin and she wrapped her embroidered skirt around her waist, the slit still giving room for plenty of motion. She grabbed a bright red shawl and wrapped it around her shoulders before leaving the room.

As she stepped outside, she was unsurprised to see the younger bruya who had tied her up originally leaning against the outer wall, eyes half closed.

"Good morning," she said casually, as she brushed by him.

"Wait." He jumped to attention and hurried after her, the rope bridge that connected Lili's home to the rest of Arbol swinging gently. "You're not supposed to wonder around alone."

She looked back at him with her best smile. "I'm not alone. Micos, right?"

He nodded without speaking, and Alara continued across the bridge. She felt him hesitate behind her, but knew he didn't have an argument for her. After a moment, she felt the bridge move again as he followed after her.

She took deep breaths in the cool air, trying not to get overwhelmed by the rush of bruyas and colors that seemed to surround her like waves. It was amazing how the caves and tunnels of the Haven could somehow feel less oppressive to Alara than the wide open platforms of Arbol. At one point, she had to pause, leaning against the cool trunk of a tree as she closed her eyes and breathed.

"So, are we going anywhere in particular?"

Alara cracked an eye open and looked over to where Micos stood. He looked around uncomfortably.

He's afraid to be seen with me.

She wondered how much of the city had heard about the Haven captive hiding away in Lili's house.

"Anywhere but the market," Alara finally said.

"Well, you're definitely going the wrong way then."

The magite stopped and looked around, frustrated with herself. Nothing looked familiar from her trip out with Lili and she thought she had been going a different way.

"Which way, then?"

Micos took a small rope bridge to his right.

It was Alara's turn to follow as he made his way from platform to platform. Alara noted that some bridges they crossed were actually made from branches of trees, woven together to form arches. It was clear they had some powerful... tierren, as they called them in the village. She wondered if Lili or her grandmother had been responsible for any of the intricate formations.